autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to best protect a car kept outside, Central Florida

Hi all, I am a bit behind the car care sciences as it's been a few years. I have a 2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT w/ black out package (black painted roof too) that is kept outside and is a daily driver. The stealership put that Xylon or whatever it is on it (I never requested it but it was free). Everyday I come out my car is covered in dew and of course since it sat with yesterdays weather on it (dust, pollen, etc), when the dew dries, it looks bad. I washed it etc and the next day, crap (in my eyes). What can I do to keep it as fresh looking as possible? There hasn't been really anything done by me on this new paint at all and I have no idea what the stealership may have done.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to best protect a car kept outside, Central Florida

Move it to a garage in San Diego! The best way. Not the practical way. Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Put a wax or coating on the car, then keep a spray bottle with McKee's 37 N-914 Rinseless wash properly diluted by the door.
    Use the N-914 with a quality microfiber towel to wipe the car every morning.
    Add a spray wax to increase the shine as needed.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok not much help other than @AZ Mike...thank you for that. I have decided after researching that the Xzilon coating is just an over glorified sealant. This shall be removed! Since the car is new here is what I'm thinking...
    1. Iron-X or similar
    2. Clay bar
    3. WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer to clean the paint
    4. Poor Boy's Black Hole Glaze for any fill that may be needed (not sure I need this step)
    5. Poor Boy's EX-P sealant
    6. Collinite 845
    7. Poor Boy's Natty Blue or Red
    I'm using a bunch of PB stuff since I only get a limited time in the garage and some of this will have to be applied outside. Please give me thoughts and ideas, take things out, add things. I obviously still need a wheel cleaner and protectant as well as for tires, plastic trim, interior, and maintenance stuff like spray wax/QD. I GREATLY appreciate any help in this. Oh ya, I do have the two Griots polishers but need the appropriate pads for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post
    Ok not much help other than @AZ Mike...thank you for that. I have decided after researching that the Xzilon coating is just an over glorified sealant. This shall be removed! Since the car is new here is what I'm thinking...
    1. Iron-X or similar CHECK
    2. Clay bar CHECK
    3. WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer to clean the paint CHECK (if paint is in excellent condition, go right to the Collinite 845 and you're finished)
    4. Poor Boy's Black Hole Glaze for any fill that may be needed (not sure I need this step) SKIP
    5. Poor Boy's EX-P sealant SKIP
    6. Collinite 845 STEP 4
    7. Poor Boy's Natty Blue or Red SKIP
    I'm using a bunch of PB stuff since I only get a limited time in the garage and some of this will have to be applied outside. Please give me thoughts and ideas, take things out, add things. I obviously still need a wheel cleaner and protectant as well as for tires, plastic trim, interior, and maintenance stuff like spray wax/QD. I GREATLY appreciate any help in this. Oh ya, I do have the two Griots polishers but need the appropriate pads for them.
    Too many LSP steps and the Wolfgang is used right before waxing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So no sealant? I'm pretty sure the paint is pretty good shape (car is a month old) and when I bought, I looked close at the paint and it looked good with my readers on. Step 1 and 2 I know needs to be done...every new car I've bought had iron on them when I used Iron-X so this one will get that too. I wanted to use the WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer to take off the coating the dealership put on just as an insurance if the claying doesn't take it up (so should something else be used for this purpose?). Agree, glaze not needed at this time. But I thought I needed a sealant(?), which would be the PB EX-P, and I wanted to put a protective layer over that, the 845, so the sealant would last longer...no?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post
    1. Iron-X or similar
    2. Clay bar
    3. WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer to clean the paint
    4. Poor Boy's Black Hole Glaze for any fill that may be needed (not sure I need this step)
    5. Poor Boy's EX-P sealant
    6. Collinite 845
    7. Poor Boy's Natty Blue or Red
    First off, congrats on the new car! I had a Hyundai genesis coupe in a similar blue. The car was kept outside in Miami and was my daily driver as well. When I purchased it I clayed it, decontaminated it with ironx, used a blackfire polish similar to your Wolfgang gloss enhancing polish, and topped it with 845. For maintenance I used meguiars 156. It kept my car shining and gave it a garage kept look even though it stayed outside. Goodluck and post pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app