autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Detail a Car with a Clear Bra

I have a silver 2006 Infiniti FX35 with a clear bra on the front fender, on the front 18 inches of the hood, on the back of the mirrors, and on the top of the rear bumper. I am planning to detail as follows:

Wash w/ DG 901
    Clay
    Polish/Clean with DG 101
    Seal with DG 105
    Let cure for 24 hours
    Wax with Collinite 845 or Liquid Souveran

All steps will be done by hand using a Polishin' Pal kit and Cobra MF towels.

Which products should I use or not use on the clear bra? What precautions should I take? I have read about problems with build-up along the seams of the clear bra, however I am not sure if this would be the case with the above products. Thanks for your advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    the guy i work with who does clear bra for these exotic cars says to just hit it with a quick detailer

depends if your using 3m, venture or whatever else is out there
    no need for waxing, sealing, claying

if ur going to polish around it, tape off 1" away so ur buffer doesnt jack it up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GPeaslee View Post
    I have a silver 2006 Infiniti FX35 with a clear bra on the front fender, on the front 18 inches of the hood, on the back of the mirrors, and on the top of the rear bumper. I am planning to detail as follows:

Wash w/ DG 901
    Clay
    Polish/Clean with DG 101
    Seal with DG 105
    Let cure for 24 hours
    Wax with Collinite 845 or Liquid Souveran

All steps will be done by hand using a Polishin' Pal kit and Cobra MF towels.

Which products should I use or not use on the clear bra? What precautions should I take? I have read about problems with build-up along the seams of the clear bra, however I am not sure if this would be the case with the above products. Thanks for your advice!
    Take the bra off.

Actually, I have no clue.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    To remove minor scratches in the film (tape the edges of the auto mask when polishing the vehicles paint, use a high speed buffer (white foam pad only) and lightly glaze over the material. It is important not to apply a lot of pressure to the film as this may lead to burning of the surface. Use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean out the edge (See also 3M website- http://www.mmm.com)

Maintenance and Care-
    1. To clean stains - use a d-limonene based (citrus) cleaner (P12S Total Auto Wash) polish the paint and the clear plastics separately, tape the edges with masking tape. It has a clear coat so it can be cared for like a clear coated paint; use Zaino or Klasse as they will dry ‘clear’. Use Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish™ orPlexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish for maintenance and to remove any finger marks / smudges (avoid the use of abrasives)

2. What can be done about wax build up along the seams and how can I avoid it?
    Wax will leave a white line on the seam, it is recommended not to wax over the seams and wax the film and uncovered portions separately to keep from wax build-up. If you accidentally wax over the seam, just use a wet towel and rub it off. Another caution is to avoid buffing over the seams, which creates a noticeable wax line as well.

3. To polish-out scratches- Menzerna Final Polish II, LC White foam pad.

4. To remove ‘clouding’ from the paint under the clear bra; the suns heat, a heat gun or a hairdryer will remove it.

5.Removal -it is not difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and work slowly to avoid breaking / tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) work slowly and be patient. Detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water to clean any adhesive residue.

Note:
    a) If the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging the paint surfaces beneath the film by pulling the film at an angle not straight up.

b) Repainted vehicles, paint must be thoroughly dry and completely cured before any attempt to apply film to the vehicle is made, in order to avoid film bubbling (solvent pop) due to paint out-gassing. Check paint body shop and / or paint manufacturer's instructions for recommended cure time and method.

Information resource: http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
    3M FAQ- http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/FAQs/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Might be adding one to my Nismo Z.
    '71 240Z, '78 280Z, '07 Nismo 350Z #0007

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The clear bra is 3M and has only been on the car for 6 months, so it still looks perfect. I had the car professionally detailed right after the clear bra was installed. As I recall, they waxed over it with carnauba. I am not sure what they did to it before the LSP. I have since used DG 601, 105, AW, and FC&S on it, but I want to be sure it's OK to use these products. I am also trying to ramp up the finish by adding the Collinite or Liquid Souveran. Also have read some good things about the combo of DG 101 and 105. Any DG experts out there that can comment. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Detail a Car with a Clear Bra

Added one to my Nismo Z. Kit & film are by Xpel. Very well done. Installer recommended Plexus to maintain & clean it. I highly recommend Derek Johnson of Atlanta Protective Films.

derek@atlantaprotectivefilms.com
    '71 240Z, '78 280Z, '07 Nismo 350Z #0007

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Detail a Car with a Clear Bra

I use Worlds Best Wax, I can go over the bra with no issues as it is all natural and has a high concentration on carnuba in it. I would do a test area with the product you are using or like the other member said, tape off the bra and work around it.