autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxed car, hood clear coat was faded, absorbed wax

Like dissolves like so try just rubbing a little more on in a messed up section and wipe it off right away see if that clears it up, might take some elbow grease

Post Thanks / Like

Wider angle pics showing the whole hood may help to see the differences and overall appearance of the hood. Also are you getting any red on your applicator when you are applying the wax. the look of that drying stuck on hazed wax is exactly what happens and looks like when you try waxing neglected single stage paint. Dont know what the 97 OEM paint was I would assume paint and clear coat, But im not sure. Also it may have been resprayed with single stage if you not the only owner or if a body shop did single stage from a collision repair and didn't tell you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Dont know what the 97 OEM paint was I would assume paint and clear coat, But im not sure. Also it may have been resprayed with single stage if you not the only owner or if a body shop did single stage from a collision repair and didn't tell you.
    He said it was a Firehawk which was some sort of SLP-modified car sold through Pontiac dealers, and it shows that at least in that era, it had a specific hood installed by SLP. Of course the OP's pictures also show part of the fender.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1999 Camaro SS and it came from SLP. The paint is base/clear, not single stage. Non of the 4th gens 1993-2002 use single stage, I wouldn't be surprised if all the 3rd gens used base/clear. I know my 1987 and 1988 Irocs were NOT single stage and neither were my 1989, 1991 or 1995 Formulas...now I can't remember if my first car (1984 Camaro) was or not.

I would suggest getting a decent compound and some quality MFs, put the car IN THE SHADE and try a small spot. Do NOT touch the paint unless it's cool/cold to the touch. Don't go drive the car and then come home and start cleaning the paint.

A polisher, be it a PC7424xp, GG6 or whatever...will obviosly give better results but it can be done by hand. By hand won't give as good results and it will be A LOT more work. I would invest in a GG6 if I were you.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you go to Walmart and get Meguirs Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish. Also, pick up a few foam applicators, and a soft microfiber. It sounds like you have clay, if you do not, get the Meguirs or Mothers clay kit that includes the clay lube.

All of these items can be easily applied by hand, or by machine, and are readily available anywhere. First, use the clay bar, then use the compound. After this step, the swirls you see should be gone. Next use the Polish (on a new applicator) until you see a great shine. Then apply your wax. If you don't have a wax, the Meguirs Ultimate liquid wax is a nice sealant and easy to apply, but a touch pricy compared to others in Walmart. Don't get a cleaning wax, all in one or any of those, as they contain cutting compounds (like compound and polish).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    I have a 1999 Camaro SS and it came from SLP. The paint is base/clear, not single stage. Non of the 4th gens 1993-2002 use single stage, I wouldn't be surprised if all the 3rd gens used base/clear. I know my 1987 and 1988 Irocs were NOT single stage and neither were my 1989, 1991 or 1995 Formulas...now I can't remember if my first car (1984 Camaro) was or not.
    IIRC GM started going BC/CC around '85/'86 depending on the body, I wanna say the '85 C-body and the Grand Ams etc. (whatever they were calling that, I guess they were calling it an A because I think the RWD A's were already being referred to as G's by then) were the first. Maybe I'm a little mixed up.

I would take a stab that the Firehawk-specific hoods were SMC and could have had a different finish, but then they would have to match the rest of the car, and since the vehicle was sold thru dealers with a GM warranty it would seem logical that GM would insist they be finished in the same way.

That being said, different body materials (especially back then) caused different lifespans to the paint, I know the plastic parts on my '90's car all had the clear fail while the metal parts were fine (Dr. G from OPT has a good explanation for why this is somewhere out there on the interwebs).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lorddingus View Post

I waxed my '97 Firehawk for the first time in years the other day after I brought her out of storage.

There are sections of the paint that have lost their coat on the hood

When you say,

lost their coat

Do you mean the clear layer of paint has flaked off?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he means wax????

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by roguerobot View Post

I suggest you go to Walmart and get Meguirs Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish. Also, pick up a few foam applicators, and a soft microfiber.

Or we carry all this on Autogeek.com the store that sponsors and pays for this forum.

I'm confident the Walmart detailing discussion forum is full of helpful members too....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Or we carry all this on Autogeek.com the store that sponsors and pays for this forum.

I'm confident the Walmart detailing discussion forum is full of helpful members too....

Very well said, and you beat me to it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast