autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxed car, hood clear coat was faded, absorbed wax

Just like others have said I dont think the clearcoat has failed, although the white little speckles on the bottom right of your picture look like they are in the paint. Megs 7 will only work on single stage paint.

If you do not have much experience I would just start with a cleaner wax like Mothers. But that paint really needs to be machine polished by experienced hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lorddingus View Post
    Awesome thank you, I'll try the Meguiars first. Also for the un-initiated, what's a one step on paint? Like a single stage paint kit?
    One step polish, sorry for the confusion, though it's basically a mild abrasive that can potentially remove the haze your dealing with also I forgot to mention that you could be dealing with a haze on the hood because heat from the engine and from the sun, hence the color red is sometimes the most delicate that's also something to consider

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the claybar on the sections above, didn't remove the wax but once I get it removed I'll be trying the claybar again.

Sounds like a plan.👍🏽
    Claybar is the 1st step, so it's advised to re do the polish step once you're done claying. Also, don't forget to use plenty of lube [quik detailer] while claying. Nead the clay often to work as clean as possible, and as has been mentioned, work in the shade on a cool surface. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

You need a proper 3 step. Compound/polish/wax. Do you have a proper polisher? Where are you located? Typically the paint on GM f-body cars has always been a little bit on the harder side.. if you are nearby me I would be happy to help you

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    You need a proper 3 step. Compound/polish/wax. Do you have a proper polisher? Where are you located? Typically the paint on GM f-body cars has always been a little bit on the harder side.. if you are nearby me I would be happy to help you

I do not have a proper polisher. Whenever I wax it's always just a terrycloth or microfiber. I guess the question is can I do it by hand or should I invest in a polisher? I took the car by a detailer today and he said it needs a cut wax on the hood, anywhere from $80-100 for the hood. I'd rather do it myself as I always try and do my own work on my cars when possible.

Also my local parts stores are all out of stock on Megiuars No.7. No word on whether they are getting more. Is there a different product line I should look at? I do have the Step 1 of the Mothers wax and can easily get the others. Again thanks for all the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I took the car by a detailer today and he said it needs a cut wax on the hood, anywhere from $80-100 for the hood.
    First of all, stay away from him, you will be sorry if you let him work on your car.

Also my local parts stores are all out of stock on Megiuars No.7. No word on whether they are getting more. Is there a different product line I should look at? I do have the Step 1 of the Mothers wax and can easily get the others. Again thanks for all the help guys.
    I don't think the #7 is really going to help you in this instance. Most of us here are going to suggest you get a polisher, but if you have access up there in CAN to something like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Ultimate Compound, trying one of those by hand on a small section is going to tell you if you'll be able to clean it up to your satisfaction. If you can, you might want to invest in a polisher to make the rest of the job easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Ask for a "Geek" near you. You really need a proper cut and polish

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    First of all, stay away from him, you will be sorry if you let him work on your car.

I don't think the #7 is really going to help you in this instance. Most of us here are going to suggest you get a polisher, but if you have access up there in CAN to something like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Ultimate Compound, trying one of those by hand on a small section is going to tell you if you'll be able to clean it up to your satisfaction. If you can, you might want to invest in a polisher to make the rest of the job easier.

Any particular type/brand of polisher that you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Any particular type/brand of polisher that you recommend?
    They all work.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should cut him some slack and let him do it his own style, by hand. No need to rush into things.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast