autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing with only one pad

I purchased a GG polisher kit, but only received one orange, white, and blue 6.5 inch pads. Can I get away with polishing my entire car (Mustang) with the one pad while cleaning it on the fly? I'll be using HD Speed and HD Poxy.

I plan on trying out the white CCS pad first, and then stepping it up to the orange pad if needed.

I hit my $300.00 budget limit and realized afterwards that I would need multiple pads.

Mike Phillips

Re: Detailing with only one pad

Sure but the pad is going to suffer and as the cutting pads and polishing pads become wet with product the cutting ability will diminish so you'll have to spend more time doing sections passes towards the end of the process than at the beginning.

Clean your pad often using the technique I share here,

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

You could also buff a panel a day and let the pad dry over night before using it again.

Dry clean pads work better than wet pads.

Post Thanks / Like

You could but IMO you should have more for each color. IMO at least 3. It will be doable but will take longer. But either way when you are done show pics!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

it can be done, but your pad will most likely separate

I did this during my very first detail on a single stage white corolla
    car turned out awesome..chalky flat white to glossy white with reflections!, my pad not so much lol

better to atleast get 6 pads
    1 per panel if you don't mind spending the $$$

Post Thanks / Like

Two options I can think off.

1. Try to use one pad, finish half the car. Throw ruined pad in trash and buy another one then finish the remaining part of car.

2. Do 1-2 panels then wash pad. Let dry then do another panel or two. Should be able to finish car over a few days.

I usually use 5-7 pads (per step) per car, more if I have to do multiple steps. Pads if taken care of last a while. I just threw out my older pads last month. I usually keep between 90-100 pads in the box; this allows me enough pads to take care of our cars without having to laundry mid way.

I would suggest looking at some of the buff & shine MF pads too. I just used some this weekend and they were awesome. I bought 5 polish & 5 cut, very impressed with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, like they all said. Chances are you'll never make it through half the car before you blow the pad out. Heat will kill it and your product will dry out faster and start dusting. You can never have enough pads. I used 5 orange pads with HD Adapt two weekends ago to do a little 370Z. You get better results changing them out more often and it actually extends the life of the pads as it reduces heat build up.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG... Yeah.... uhhhhhhhh..... short answer......

NO

With what everyone else has been saying.

Get pads, GET LOTS OF PADS and use them. Learn to use them. But most importantly... do NOT overheat, or overload, or overwork your pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I like having four on hand for each step.

I'm meticulous with cleaning them, and usually only cycle through two per cutting step, sometimes three. Polishing is almost always two. Cleaner wax is two. Sealant application is usually one.

I have a ton in my "stock" though!

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing with only one pad

I polished a black VW Jetta last weekend with Meguiars Black Wax. And while doing doing so I ended up hearing so much about HD Speed that I couldn't help but think the 2 products must be pretty similar..
    If that's the case, you'll probably be just fine, because I can tell you I got through that car just fine with just 1 pad without even thinking about it.
    The car turned out great. And I'm 100% sure I only used 1 pad because it's the only 5" polishing pad I have that's still caked with the nice scent and tint of Megs Black Wax.

Detailing with only one pad-imageuploadedbyagonline1457414983-910132-jpg

Did it "burn up"? Lol heck no..
    Every job's different, and there's certainly vehicles and situations where it's a must to have several pads on hand, but if HD Speed is anything like Meguiars Black Wax, [and from so many people mentioning it in my thread I'll assume it is] you'll most likely be just fine. And if you can't get through a Ford Mustang without issues, then I suggest switching to Meguiars Black Wax. Lol. Good luck!

P.s. I did the pillars, rear view mirrors and other tight areas by hand.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Define "polishing your car"

Are you going for show room correction ?

Are you going for paint/gloss enhancement?

40-70% defect removal ?

Showroom paint correction can not be done with 1 pad. Very difficult and it will take longer.

Paint/gloss enhancement if your going to go around the car for 2 hours yes you can use 1 pad.

It really all depends on what your trying to get out of your polishing experience.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast