autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I fix this??

This is black exterior trim, it has some turtle wax trim coating junk on it. It is all streaky and bad looking. Trim Detailer and Ultimate black did nothing for this. Does it need to be dyed/painted to fix it or is there something that can be done to save/fix this? It looks BAD in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I fix this??-1458417251744-jpg   How do I fix this??-1458417265886-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I fix this??

First try some Peanut Butter and then a good APC cleaning and I always found that using Sonus Trim & Motor Kote works great afterwards.
    AMG Classic Automotive Detailing 45 year's and still going at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Clean well with IPA or mineral spirits and apply Solution Finish. Be sure to tape the surrounding area. Good luck.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both-quick question:
    APC=?
    IPA=Isopropol alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by electricgreen View Post
    This is black exterior trim, it has some turtle wax trim coating junk on it. Trim Detailer and Ultimate black did nothing for this.
    APC= All Purpose Cleaner

But let's back up a minute. You used the Turtle Wax trim coating? It came out streaky so you used "Trim Detailer" (what is this?) and Meguiar's Ultimate Black to try to even it out?

If you have a coating that hasn't been applied evenly, it may be better to try to apply it evenly, if it is uneven because of insufficient cleaning prior to application, it's probably better to try and strip it all off.

Unlikely that putting a dressing on top of uneven coating is going to achieve a uniform appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

All Purpose Cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Solution Finish also.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't apply the turtle wax but my understanding is it was applied evenly, it just either is streaky or absorbed that way. Trim Detailer is a Meg's product. Might be "gold class trim detailer"-it comes in a black bottle. I find it works better than the ultimate stuff which I tried for the first time today on the black trim below the windshield on a new to me car. Now I'm wondering if I should have stuck to the deep crystal for the polish instead of ordering the ultimate..or just convert to Mothers...

Anyway...All purpose cleaner, is this also Meguiars?

I used the two meg's products to try to even it out and fix it, since I thought it maybe just needed more "feeding" and since I have used and trust the TD I hoped it would help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How do I fix this??

I would try some mineral spirits or have had some luck with enamel reducer to strip and even out. :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by electricgreen View Post
    I didn't apply the turtle wax but my understanding is it was applied evenly, it just either is streaky or absorbed that way. Trim Detailer is a Meg's product. Might be "gold class trim detailer"-it comes in a black bottle. I find it works better than the ultimate stuff which I tried for the first time today on the black trim below the windshield on a new to me car. Now I'm wondering if I should have stuck to the deep crystal for the polish instead of ordering the ultimate..or just convert to Mothers...

Anyway...All purpose cleaner, is this also Meguiars?

I used the two meg's products to try to even it out and fix it, since I thought it maybe just needed more "feeding" and since I have used and trust the TD I hoped it would help.
    Wow...how did we get Deep Crystal polish into this? For one that's not really a comparable product to Ultimate Polish, but was something like that used on the trim?

Also please realize that a trim coating is very different than a trim dressing like GC Trim Detailer or Ultimate Black.

All Purpose Cleaners are made by many companies and are not restricted to "detailing" companies. Things like Simple Green etc. are considered APC's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.