autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help!! What happened here?

My rear left door got caved in a few months ago when someone backed into it. The car was at the body shop for 3 weeks because Mazda shipped them the wrong door the first time.

Anyways I got the car back yesterday, at first these markings were not visible, but it seems that once I drove around in the cold air (-5C to 5C) they appeared, as I noticed them in the evening. It is now the next day and I tried some klasse AIO by hand to see if I couldn't clean it off.. but it hasn't worked. So I will probably try some Menz that I have here... But first I'd like to hear from you what the hell is this?!? They are on several locations on the car, the front end and front of hood, on a small portion of the door they repaired, on a spot that was previously touched up, and on the rear bumper that was replaced.

Heres the pics:

It is even on or under my clear bra as you can see in the following 2 pictures!

Here is a spot that was touched up from before, it had what appeared to be water spots in the clear coat so I could tell it was not a very good job.

Now it appears that there are no flakes there?!

Post Thanks / Like
    My car was at the body shop to get some paintwork done and I noticed when it came back that there were several spots where it felt like there was no wax left on it. The paint felt very "dry" instead of smooth and when I looked closely there were some patterns kind of like what you show - almost like an oil pattern that had dried on top of the paint (at least that's what your pics look like to me). I put some XMT 3 on an orange pad and it removed it in one pass.

Maybe some sort of chemical the body shop uses for prep or overspray?
    Paul
    2000 Corvette
    1965 Chevelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, that doesn't look good at all. I've never seen anything like that before, thankfully I didn't when I had my old truck at the body shop. I'd be interested to see if someone knows what it is. THe first picutre looks like tape residue but the KAIO should have easily removed that...

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my Mustang painted at the dealer I stopped by to see how the progress was going. I saw my car sitting there but nothing was tapped or covered. I talked with the painter about it and he told me they sprayed the car with a masking solution that washes off when they were done. I thought he was BS'ing me so I asked to see it. As I got closer to the car I could see a film all over the car that looks like your picture. When I got the car back it was all gone. My guess is its something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    That body shop sucks!Take it somewhere else and get it done right or make them fix it.