autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First DA to Apply Wax

So we have made it through the long hard Chicago winter (OK maybe not such a bad winter this year). I am getting ready to really clean the car next weekend. I am looking to purchase my first DA and think I have decided on the GG6. Looks like good reviews and the warranty seems great. I would only be using it for my two cars and possibly a friend here or there.

Never having used a DA I would like to just start by using it to apply the wax which I used to do by hand (Collonite 845). Having a black car I am just worried I would not use it correctly the first few times. It is a daily driver so I know it will never be perfect. I am just hoping it will cut down the time it takes to wax.

I was wondering would I need just 1 Red 6.5" pad for the whole car (Challenger)? I want to make sure I place the order with everything I need at once.

Thanks for help in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First DA to Apply Wax

If you are in the Northern suburbs and want to try a GG6 out let me know. Welcome to use/borrow mine.

Post Thanks / Like

One pad for wax and sealants is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the GG6....also my first DA.....I'd buy more than one pad....I bought 3 and then three of the 3-inch for those tight spots.....and get either the yo-yo hand applicator of the palm applicator to go with them

Post Thanks / Like

It's understandable being somewhat nervous about diving into using a DA machine for cutting or abrading your paint. Trust me, i was absolutely the same way when i first started. What i would suggest is to try a pre wax cleaner first before applying your Coll. You can't get a good feel of the machine and not cut anything AND prep the paint well to hold onto that Collonite for a while.

Just a suggestion as a way to get comfortable with it. Hopefully you'll get over your hesitation once you use it a bit and realize you aren't doing any harm.

And, yes, get 2 six packs of pads!

Post Thanks / Like

I started with a Harbor Freight DA and with a 20% off coupon that can always be found online ended up costing me less than fifty bucks. It has lasted me several years with no issues. Just a backup idea to the gg6.

Post Thanks / Like

One pad to wax a vehicle is just fine. Just realize you'll be waxing some areas by hand still. That 6.5 pad won't fit everywhere on most cars.

If you're nervous about how it feels to run it with polish later on, try using it on a glass door or something you won't damage. It'll give you a chance to work the polish through a full cycle to see how it feels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the great advice (And for the chance to try it mrbtd).

I know once I use it I will get over the feeling of doing any damage. Just that I have waxed my car by hand for so long without using any machine I just have to do it.

Puckman, do you have any suggestions for a pre wax cleaner? I have never used one before but it does sound like a great idea.

One last question is how to clean the pads afterwards? My hand pads I usually just use some hot water and let dry. I usually don't use them more than twice since they are cheap before I switch to a new one.

Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to go with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. One pad is fine for applying wax / sealant.

There is a sticky on Collinite 845 on the forum.

The advantage of applying 845 by machine is while it might save a little time, it does allow you to spread the product out nice and evenly. Remember, thin is in!

Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine! 1 pad is all you need to apply wax. The 6.5" Pad is fine. Once you apply wax by DA you will never do it by hand again. As for the spots you can't reach with the DA just remove the pad and apply the wax by hand. Why waste 2 pads for one job. Additionally, the pad will have quite a bit of wax on it so you do not need to get more...eventually.

Make sure the speed setting is on the lower end. For the GG6 I would go no more than Speed 3. Again, have fun and if you can show pics!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast