autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BRS - Big Red Sponge

if this big red sponge is as thick as the blue lake country sponge then i can't say i will ever want to try one. it's too thick and they should cut it down about half the thickness...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if this big red sponge is as thick as the blue lake country sponge then i can't say i will ever want to try one. it's too thick and they should cut it down about half the thickness...
    The Big Red Sponge is about the same size and thickness as the Lake Country blue sponge. The main difference is the material. While the LC Blue Sponge works good for regular washes, the BRS is much better for Rinseless Washes and last much longer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wring out the BRS in the same bucket with the clean water, aren't you soaking up some of the dirty water each time you dunk it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    The Big Red Sponge is about the same size and thickness as the Lake Country blue sponge. The main difference is the material. While the LC Blue Sponge works good for regular washes, the BRS is much better for Rinseless Washes and last much longer
    Oh, I thought the Big Red Sponge was the Lake Country grout sponge, just with Optimum branding.
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    Oh, I thought the Big Red Sponge was the Lake Country grout sponge, just with Optimum branding.
    The Big Red Sponge is completely different than the Lake Country Blue Sponge. The material is softer and the sponge lasts much longer.

Post Thanks / Like

The BRS is super soft and very durable...but, you will need to follow any foam wash media with a microfiber towel (either wet or dry) to make sure there is no dirt left on the paint before claying. I have had a few instances where I could not just go from no rinsed panel straight to claying when using a sponge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Not at all. Rinseless washing is actually a safer method than traditional soap and water.

How?
    Btw, I'm not saying rinseless washing is unsafe at all, I'm a fan of waterless, rinseless, and traditional bucket washes, but I can't see how a rinseless wash is somehow safer than a traditional wash considering a bucket wash starts with a full pre rinse with a strong stream of water. At best, a rinseless wash gets a pre spray which helps lubricate the surface and emulsifiy the dirt, but it still needs to be wiped off. Whereas a normL pre rinse with a hose gets most of that dirt off before even having to touch the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    How?
    Btw, I'm not saying rinseless washing is unsafe at all, I'm a fan of waterless, rinseless, and traditional bucket washes, but I can't see how a rinseless wash is somehow safer than a traditional wash considering a bucket wash starts with a full pre rinse with a strong stream of water. At best, a rinseless wash gets a pre spray which helps lubricate the surface and emulsifiy the dirt, but it still needs to be wiped off. Whereas a normL pre rinse with a hose gets most of that dirt off before even having to touch the paint.
    I am guessing the reason why most say Rinseless Wash is as a safe as a traditional wash is because they pressure wash the wheels and wheel wheels, then they use wheel cleaner on the wheels and rinse. They also spray off the whole car with a pressure washer and then do a Rinseless Wash. In the real world you show up to a business parking lot and the car will be dirty and covered with pollen and without a water source you better be careful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    In the real world you show up to a business parking lot and the car will be dirty and covered with pollen and without a water source you better be careful
    True, or you show up at the house and they forgot the water line froze up and burst over the winter. This happened to me the other day. His daily driver black work truck was covered in DC city grime. His least concern was the paint though. D114 cleaned it up well and didn't add any extra swirls that I could tell. I did not pre spray, or pretreat in any way.

Then the next wash I did the outside spigot had been shut off for the winter and there was no access because it was in the other tenant's basement apartment. It was a severely scratched up silver car. No pre treat there either.

Just "clean and shiny". If they were show cars, or really well taken care of, I would have adapted my technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try cutting one up to use for spots the normal size can't get to?

Still not sure about this..may try the 0 bucket method I read about over autopia before this

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234