autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint Coating questions

Hi,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I am getting ready to apply Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint Coating and have a few questions before I start. I plan to wash car, clay, polish, and then wipe with Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint Prep. I am a little nervous because this is the first time I am applying a paint coating and I've read that this product can be a little tricky.

Questions:

1. Is there any particular type of microfiber that I should use to level this product once I apply it? Do the towels have to be thrown away or can they be washed and reused? How can you tell it has been leveled correctly? Do you just wipe until you don't see streaks?

2. If I wanted to remove the product after fully cured could it be removed with say Meguiars Ultimate Polish and 4 to 5 passes with PC DA and polishing foam pad or would I have to use compound? How can you tell you have removed it all?

3. Is there anything that I can use on top of this product? Wax, etc?? What about Quik Detailer and Quik Wax products?

4. How long is the shelf life once the bottle is opened?

I think that's it for now. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint Coating questions

Bumping this to see if anyone can help me out. I'd like to try and apply it within the next couple days. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest tip I will give you is use this coating SPARINGLY. Less is more.

Work a very small area, a regular MF that you would use to remove wax is fine.

No reason to top it with anything.

It won't last a super long time once open. Maybe a few months.

It can be removed with a mild compound and orange pad. I used FG400 & MF polishing pad to remove it. You can tell the difference in the finish once removed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ebg18t, thanks very much for the reply and tips. Much appreciated.

Is it necessary to toss the microfibers that I use or can I wash as usual?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Please define "sparingly" amount and very small area. And what applicator is easiest?
    Do you apply the same "sparingly" amount from start to end?

I had a tough time my first try. I tried foam applicator, but found suede microfiber to be a little easier. My small area turned out to be 12"x12". I started with prepping only one panel and coating that one panel to try and practice the application.

I watched the video and no way did my applicator glide like that with 1 drop at the start of coating.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a quick detailer or spray wax to use you can stick with the blackfire one's. I'm a believer in synergy.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

Bus_Driver, when you do a 12" x 12" area at a time I assume you have to over lap a little. When you start the next 12" x 12" area how does the edges of the previous area respond to fresh coating going over the dry parts? Any issues when you overlap?

I was planning to do entire panels at a time to avoid putting fresh product over dry???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bus_Driver View Post
    Please define "sparingly" amount and very small area. And what applicator is easiest?
    Do you apply the same "sparingly" amount from start to end?

I had a tough time my first try. I tried foam applicator, but found suede microfiber to be a little easier. My small area turned out to be 12"x12". I started with prepping only one panel and coating that one panel to try and practice the application.

I watched the video and no way did my applicator glide like that with 1 drop at the start of coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to ask anyone that has used this product what temperature and or humidity did you apply at? Did it go on like in the video at the temp/humidity that you applied it at?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I never got good enough with the product to consider overlap in my application technique. I don't remember having any problems with overlap either.

It was very frustrating to apply. I'm glad it was a "free" gift.

Good luck. Hope your experience is better than mine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so yesterday I went ahead and applied the Blackfire crystal coat to the hood of a car. Actually, I started with a small section on a bumper just to get a feel for it. I prepped and used the Blackfire Paint Prep as the last step before applying. Car was completely in shade and had been overnight so zero heat on the parts.

Temperature outside was 79 F and 61% humidity. I used a foam applicator and right away I noticed that it starts to flash very quickly. I was hoping to go over the entire hood or at least half and half since the video on the product page shows what seems like a pretty long working time. I realized quickly that this would not be possible.

I was able to do the hood in 1/4 sections though but just barely. I had to work quickly because I would say that after about 2 minutes it became very hard to wipe/level the product.

I will say that I was really unable to wipe it on OR off lightly like it looks in the video. I had to put some effort into my wipes. Also I had to use very short nap microfiber towels to remove because the material is grabby almost instantly and I think longer nap microfibers would have made it even harder to wipe.

So bottom line at least at this temp & humidity:

1) Have short nap microfibers for removal/leveling.

2) Be prepared to do small sections and move quickly so that you can finish off the entire panel before it really begins to really dry.

It did require some elbow grease but the result is excellent. The finish really looks very good. If it lasts a year or two I will be VERY happy.

Next time I am going to try inside garage with AC on so a bit cooler and a bit dryer air. I feel that this will probably help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast