autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

whats better for starters

I am planning on getting a pc and some light polishes mainly to freshen up the paint on my 67 camaro with single stage that just doesn't shine all that much any more and my 98 s-10 which is starting to show its age and has a few light scratches.

So what do you think would be my best bet the poor boys kit that ag sells or the xmt kit. I am leaning toward the pb kit, it just seems like a better deal. Or if you have any other suggestions, I am open to them. Keep in mind I don't have any pads or polishes, the only thing I really have is the pc. The other thing I was thinking was getting the 4 pad white and orange pad closeout deal then buying products separate, this is getting confusing.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fork; 10-05-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't go wrong with the PB kit. You get an aggressive polish to remove some swirls (SSR2.5) and a final polish to clean up the paint after (SSR1) and Natty's as a great wax. Plus S&G and S&W are great products as well. Poorboy's Spray and Wipe is a waterless wash ... it may sound weird at the beginning but once you get used to it it'll amaze you.

You may want to add in a sealant for additional durability, something like Four Star Ultimate Paint Perfection (UPP), Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, PB EX, Klasse SG, Duragloss 105, etc. Also, the Camaro sounds like it has oxidation and it'd be best if you got a paint cleaner to clean that oxidation off before polishing. Klasse AIO or PB Pro Polish would be the paint cleaners of choice for that job.

I'm not sure if you are thinking about the Porter Cable kit or not but make sure you get a few spare pads, especially when working on the Camaro. Since it is single stage, the paint will transfer on your pad and you'll want to keep your pads clean / change them out when they get dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your choosing between the XMT and PB's line, I suggest the XMT line. I was in the same shoes as you when I got my PC, and I got the XMT package. And I'm glad I did. Alot of people here will tell you that XMT polishes are better then PB's, and I agree.
    They say a man looks after himself the same way he looks after his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a post i cant remember who posted it but it shows what XMT can do

After using the PC 7424 & XMT line yesterday on my 20th Ae Gti I was itching for more, but I wanted bigger & more dramatic result's. don't get me wrong I loved the results I got yesterday.

Enter my '86 Daily driven Blazer, I purchased this about 2 yr's ago and it had been sitting outside for who knows long, it was covered in pine needles and everything else when I picked it up for $300. I had washed it twice from that day untill present day. It was the perfect canidate for Dramatic results.

Product's used:
    Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds Concentrated Car Wash
    Griots Garage Clay
    PC 7424
    Oarange pad
    gray pad
    XMT #3
    XMT #2
    XMT Glaze
    XMT Pad Care Combo
    Klasse Sealant
    Poorboys Natty's Blue

Before

Close up

After wash & Clay
    ( only Clayed the Driver side )

#1,785/4,000

flyinbryanView Public ProfileSend a private message to flyinbryanFind all posts by flyinbryanAdd flyinbryan to Your Buddy List

01-21-2007, 07:04 PM
    cPanel® vbmenu_register("postmenu_49645", true);

1st application of XMT #3 with oarange pad

After 2 Apllications of XMT #3

Im not sure if I was using to much product or if it was cause I was getting so much paint off the hood , but the pad was just caked. I did use only A .25 size spot on the pad.

Close up

Caked Pad Saturated w/Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner

Caked Pad after cleaning with Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner & Bristle Brush

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6LS2 View Post
    Alot of people here will tell you that XMT polishes are better then PB's, and I agree.
    That's a bunch of crap. I have yet to see this What do you like more with the XMT vs. the SSRs?

In all actuality, the XMT and SSRs are quite similar. Both are excellent via PC / UDM and are easy to use. You may experience dusting with both products but there is a learning curve to prevent it.

Some members don't bother to play around with techniques in order to get products to perform properly and base their opinions from using it once... and then say that the product sucks. Hey, it's their money wasted if they don't want to find the correct way to use a polish, but its another to say it sucks only after one use or actually never using it before...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with budman!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help so far, I'm still unsure because the poorboys package seems like a much better value. becuase I would use the towels, quick detailer, and certainly the wax. However the xmt comes with glaze and I already have a good glaze (3M imperial hand glaze). However there does seems to be a slight preference toward the xmt. But at least I'm learning stuff as always.

Does any onw know if either of the polishes are "body shop safe" meaning zero silicons and waxes? That would be a plus because I do do occasional paint work.

Thanks yall

Post Thanks / Like
    I know for a fact that the SSRs do not have any silicone in them as they are water based. They don't have any waxes either....

I read many members on this site that say the XMT glaze isn't great at all...

Here is what SSR2.5 and SSR1 combo can do with 7.5" polishing pads with the PC:
    Before:

After

And 50/50 shots of SSR2.5- 6" polishing pad on left, 7.5" polishing pad on right:

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't go wrong with either one.. Both are user friendly, but dusty. I've been reading that the SSR line is just repackaged CG polishes, which are much much cheaper, a gallon for almost the same price as a 32oz SSR, but you have to buy by the gallon I believe. And you cant get them here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DantheMan View Post
    You can't go wrong with either one.. Both are user friendly, but dusty. I've been reading that the SSR line is just repackaged CG polishes, which are much much cheaper, a gallon for almost the same price as a 32oz SSR, but you have to buy by the gallon I believe. And you cant get them here.
    I don't know your source for the CG info but that surely isn't a credible source and is simply false information. As for the dusting issues, I have a link in my signature (if it works) of a post that I've made that'll prevent dusting issues with the whole SSR line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast