autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of paint sprayer for headlights

Hey guys I have been working on some headlights and I think I have reached my breaking point with the spray can 2k clear. I would like to start using a spray gun to do them instead which will take out the guessing of how much product is left in the can. I was thinking about getting a regular spray gun or possibly an airbrush. I havent ever used an airbrush but thought it might be a good idea to get some thin coats on the headlights. What are you guys opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What kind of paint sprayer for headlights

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used it for headlights but when I painted the roadrunner I used a 2 quart Devilbiss pressure pot and spray gun. This system works great as you can regulate the spray air and pot pressure to what ever works the best and can really cut down on orange peel. When doing under trunk lid, hood etc. with all the cross bracing I could cut the spray pressure and keep the pot high enough that there was absolutely no paint bounce back that gives that sandpaper effect. The only downside that I see is if you are doing small parts you would use more cleaning solution to rinse out the pot and gun.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I would really investigate one of the UV-cure headlight coatings before I started spraying 2K clear in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I would really investigate one of the UV-cure headlight coatings before I started spraying 2K clear in my garage.
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like

why even clear them with so many uv sealants on the market.just sand them buff them good and leave them alone,I'm not one for coatings on plastics or headlights cause when the product fails I don't need the headache.Buff them out,and touch them up 6 to 8 months from now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    why even clear them with so many uv sealants on the market.just sand them buff them good and leave them alone,I'm not one for coatings on plastics or headlights cause when the product fails I don't need the headache.Buff them out,and touch them up 6 to 8 months from now.
    Here in Az. it is about 3 Months tops. I have read that 2k clear is the cat's meow for longevity. I have read good and bad with opti-lens. It is all a crap shoot. I have tried ZAIO.,Z2 pro, Duragloss, Collinite, FK1000, Opti-seal, ZCS and recently trying OCW. Just my .02 cents on the subject. I just have a hard time digesting the price of Opti-lens so I keep doing the buffing clean up when needed. I do agree when a coating goes bad it is a real PIA to remove, had that with Dlux one time.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Here in Az. it is about 3 Months tops. I have read that 2k clear is the cat's meow for longevity. I have read good and bad with opti-lens. It is all a crap shoot. I have tried ZAIO.,Z2 pro, Duragloss, Collinite, FK1000, Opti-seal, ZCS and recently trying OCW. Just my .02 cents on the subject. I just have a hard time digesting the price of Opti-lens so I keep doing the buffing clean up when needed. I do agree when a coating goes bad it is a real PIA to remove, had that with Dlux one time.

Dave
    Im from south fla,so I know what you mean about headlights.3 months is really quick fading.just make sure you wear a respirator and cover car before spraying anything Gd luck.might want to try a prevail sprayer just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick replies and I am in az. So far the 2k has been holding up rather well compared to just coating the lenses. The pictures above are both done with 2k clear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post

Dave
    Curious to know how OptiSeal and OCW are effective for you or not.
    Thats what I'm using too after I polished them
    Thanks Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast