autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I maximize suds with less product in my foam gun?

Hi all,

I purchased the Gilmour foam gun from Amazon and I am wondering how to get a ton of suds and fully coat a car by using minimal product.

a. Do you guys dilute the soap with water, or do you put a few ounces of soap in the container and allow the gun to do its job?

b. Also, how exactly does this speed up the wash process? I understand the car will be coated with suds, but doesn't the 2 bucket method still apply? You still need to have a soapy water bucket and a clean water bucket. In essence, I would be using double the amount of product.

c. Can I use the foam gun as a lubricant for when I clay? I actually think this would be much easier and safer, but what do you all think?

Apologies in advance for all of the "noob" questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I maximize suds with less product in my foam gun?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGT View Post
    Hi all,

I purchased the Gilmour foam gun from Amazon and I am wondering how to get a ton of suds and fully coat a car by using minimal product.

a. Do you guys dilute the soap with water, or do you put a few ounces of soap in the container and allow the gun to do its job?
    More soap = more suds. The gilmour foamaster will not produce the thick suds you see from a foam canon and pressure washer. Instead, the Gilmour foam gun will simply make soapy water.

b. Also, how exactly does this speed up the wash process? I understand the car will be coated with suds, but doesn't the 2 bucket method still apply? You still need to have a soapy water bucket and a clean water bucket. In essence, I would be using double the amount of product.
    This does not speed up the process. You can chose to use the foam gun in 1 of 2 ways...

First, for presoaking... cover the car with soapy water in order to begin breaking down dirt and grime. Then rinse away the soap water and wash as normal (adds time to wash process)

Second, use the foam gun instead of a soapy water bucket. Spray soapy water onto a panel, then wash with a mitt. Rinse your mitt out in your rinse bucket, then proceed to foam another section and wash it. Doesn't really save much time, if any, but typically produces more suds than just dipping your mitt into a soapy bucket.

c. Can I use the foam gun as a lubricant for when I clay? I actually think this would be much easier and safer, but what do you all think?
    Yes

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for all of the "noob" questions!
    Others will chime in and give their answers but here's how I do it.

a. I fill it will hot water then add 3-5 ounces of soap.

b. I will rinse the car off. Then use the foam gun to soak the car and let it sit for a few minutes. Then rinse it off. I then follow with a two bucket wash. Using the tradition washing method for all of the area above the door handles. Anything below the door handles or that is very dirty, I use the foam gun again on those areas then use the tradition wash with the extra protection. Also sometimes I will take my washing mitt and suds it up with the gun before cleaning a panel.

c. Absolutely.

I would suggest purchasing a gallon of a quality soap. That is the best way to "save" on product.

My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Bump for more opinions!

Thanks for your responses zmc & Prelude!

Post Thanks / Like

Zach (zmcgovern45) gave you the answers. The foam gun is no magic wand, it's simply a dilution device (with some aeration thrown in). The higher percentage of soap you put in the cup, and the larger the venturi opening, the more "suds" you will get. It's just math.

You also want to be aware that detergents ("soaps") foam better with soft or deionized water, so you might want to look into that.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion using the Gilmour Foam Gun when claying is not a good option.

The soapy water provides too much lubrication and causes the clay to hydroplane/skim over the surface. This denies the clay the opportunity to effectively grab the particles of contamination.

I also believe that the danger of soap drying on the car is high, using the foam gun.

In my opinion, using a dedicated clay lube or a rinseless wash product in a sprayer is much more effective and efficient.

Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Get some chemical guys maxi suds

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Car Wash also works great with in a foam gun.

Post Thanks / Like

And one more tip, make sure you SHAKE the container to mix it.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Gilmour foam (DP labeled) gun as well. I barely use it. But if you want great suds thats somewhat close to a foam cannon with pressure washer, Meguiars Hyper Wash or DP Xtreme Foam Formula. You basically pour it straight into the container, and go. The Megs Hyper Wash is cheap per gallon when you purchase during a sale. I use mine during the warm months with my little one to wash our personal vehicles for fun.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me