autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mentors

Post Thanks / Like

Mentors

Looking for mentors in Detroit,mi or the Michigan area period... Trying to gain all knowledge possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mentors

With all the information here, both print and video, you really don't need an in-person "mentor".

Post Thanks / Like

Was thinking bout buying the detail kings cd's on how to's videos.... I new at the polishing and carpet cleaning thing still just don't want to cause failure for my business

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard nothing but great things about this book by Renny Doyle. I've been meaning to pick it up myself.

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/car-detailing-book.html

Post Thanks / Like

I got it just came in Sunday I'm reading it now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soloswilliams View Post
    I got it just came in Sunday I'm reading it now

Nice. How many pages is it?

Post Thanks / Like

195 before u hit appendix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
    With all the information here, both print and video, you really don't need an in-person "mentor".
    This is true.

You Tube is your friend here.

Where in the Detroit area are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    This is true.

You Tube is your friend here.

Where in the Detroit area are you?
    Hate to disagree with you guys but nothing beats hands on training, period. It will instill confidence and greatly shorten the learning curve to get you off to good start.

Youtube and books are all very good sources of information but they can only take you so far. In the professional detailing world nothing is looked down upon more than an internet detailer. Now that's not to say that you can't learn anything off of the internet far from it. I learn something new about detailing there everyday.

If your a FB member join one of the FB detailing groups. A good one to start with would be Robert DiTerlizzi's Detailing for Dummies its approaching 7,000 members. And some of them are the who's who of detailing like Mike Phillips, Jason Rose, Kevin Brown, Nick Chapman and Larry Kosilla from AMMO to name just a few. All there to learn and share at the same time.

Guys there's a reason Mike Phillips and Renny Doyle's classes all fill up and that's because you have to have hands on training and have an instructor there telling you what you are seeing and why you are seeing it.

By all means use every available source to gain as much knowledge as you can. I know the classes aren't cheap and not everyone can take time away from work, family, drop a couple grand to fly to Florida or California to take a class but there are other ways. Find a reputable shop in your area and volunteer to trade labor for training. You may not get to actually touch a customer car for liability reasons but a lot can be learned from watching and listening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Atchison View Post
    Sorry to disagree with you guys but nothing beasts hands on training, period. Its true that there's tons of information out there in video and book form and those are all very good sources of information for sure to get you started, but they can only take you so far. I can guarantee you anyone that has taken a class put on by a professional detailer/trainer will tell you they learned so much more. There's a reason Mike Phillips or Renny Doyle classes fill up and they're not cheap, but if you want to be a step aove the rest you need hands on training.

One way if you can't afford or location doesn't allow for it is to find a reputable shop in your area and offer to volunteer your time in trade for some training. You may not be ale to do actual work because of liability reasons but an awful lot can be gained by simply watching and listening.
    but for 300 plus airfare hotel,maybe a grand you can't beat mp training if your budget deosnt allow for that expense,stick with videos and product info.Getting a job at a production shop more than likely they will train you to be a hack.sorry for the negetive comment but I see this happen especially from dealerships.Be a constant follower on this forum and you will gain some knowledge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast