autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help fixing someone else's mess

First time posting. Have gotten a lot of good info on this forum over the last couple of years.

I just bought a 2013 Kia Optima that had some front end damage that was already repaired. They replaced the front bumper/fender. After a good wash of the car and some sunlight, I noticed some really bad scratches and buffer marks or something in the front half of the driver's door. I have used Wolfgang TSR before on my other vehicle with great results but I didn't have any left. I did some research and picked up some Meguiar's M101 for this job and figured it would be a success with my DA and an orange foam pad. Well I was wrong. After trying to go over it several times, it didn't even seem to make the slightest of improvement. I don't believe that they did any painting of the door but I almost wonder if they clear coated or something over the top of the imperfections they made. I am no expert and so here are some photos of post M101....

Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help fixing someone else's mess-imag0543-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-imag0539-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help fixing someone else's mess

Pics are not so great,if you believe there is something under the clear there is pretty much no remedy.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Question is it under the clear? Maybe it's just hard clear? Do u have a thickness guage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Pics are not so great,if you believe there is something under the clear there is pretty much no remedy.

Sorry but not much relevant advice can be given w/o much better pictures.

I hate to ask, but have to, why did you buy the car knowing all these things existed? Did you thoroughly inspect it prior to purchasing it?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the pics. Hopefully these ones are better.

I don't have a thickness gauge. I have no idea whether or not it is under the clear coat. It was just a thought after the M101 did nothing to improve it.

Like I said, I have used with great success Wolfgang's TSR on bad buffer holograms all over my black 4Runner so I thought tackling half of a door on a silver car wouldn't be too big of a deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3019-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3022-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3024-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3026-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3027-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3034-jpg   Help fixing someone else's mess-img_3037-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

almost look like sanding marks where someone clearly didn't know what they were doing. Never seen that before.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like someone washed it with a Brillo Pad
    It's more than a car...Keep it clean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW435 View Post
    Looks like someone washed it with a Brillo Pad

My question remains the same, why would you purchase a vehicle with such trashed out paint in the first place? I'm not meaning to be a ****. I personally would have never bought it. You seem to have the detailing background so that's what makes me wonder why you bought that swirled out mess?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Try to do baggies test on that area to notice any roughness over the area or not might help this. If it feel smooth then the hell just breaking loose and you might need to repaint the whole panel.

It look like someone sanding those panel and before properly clearing out all the sanding mark, he just resprayed clear coat over.

I pray that you can feel lots of roughness from baggie test, then we can figure out the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it just has a coating applied. I would get a paint guage and wet sand it properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast