autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to wash a muddy truck?

This spring I plan on polishing my CRV. I would like to keep it swirl free as long as I can. I do a lot of off road driving visiting our natural world, It will get very dirty. What are the proper techniques for washing a muddy truck to keep the swirl marks to a minimum?

I am sure this has been discussed here, sorry. I am having many problems with this site. When I type anything in the search I get a server error. When I hit the "upload photos" button, it opens up thousands of upload photo pages!

Anyway, trying to get as much info as I can and appreciate any help or links to prior discussions.

Derek

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wash a muddy truck?

Welcome Derek. My first recommendation would be to apply a coating of your choice to help with the release of mid and dirt after your excursions.
    I'd also invest in a pressure washer to knock as much of the muck of before your wash regime. You'll be surprised at how easy it will be to wash after you've pressure washed it.

Post Thanks / Like

How I do it:

Start with a pressure washer on the underside of the truck to knock the muck off.

I then spray the body of the truck down twice.

I use the two bucket method. As I go to each panel I rinse, then wet the next panel to be washed. I go top to bottom. I have a second MF mitt for the running boards/fender wells because I don't want minimize the chances of scratching from all the dirt picked up.

Dry with MF towels to a little damp.

Finish drying with spray wax (using Griots Garage right now)

This got a lot easier after I applied a sealant (again, griots garage but there are many good options for sale here).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the pressure wash method. Knock as much off as possible with that first. I would then foam it up with a good car soap, let it dwell but not DRY! Then rinse again. After i have done those first steps i would proceed to my 2 bucket wash.

Then, like fly said, get a good LSP on there if not already.

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Welcome Derek. My first recommendation would be to apply a coating of your choice to help with the release of mid and dirt after your excursions.
    I'd also invest in a pressure washer to knock as much of the muck of before your wash regime. You'll be surprised at how easy it will be to wash after you've pressure washed it.
    Thank You Fly, can you give me an example of a coating, a specific brand name?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    How I do it:

Start with a pressure washer on the underside of the truck to knock the muck off.

I then spray the body of the truck down twice.

I use the two bucket method. As I go to each panel I rinse, then wet the next panel to be washed. I go top to bottom. I have a second MF mitt for the running boards/fender wells because I don't want minimize the chances of scratching from all the dirt picked up.

Dry with MF towels to a little damp.

Finish drying with spray wax (using Griots Garage right now)

This got a lot easier after I applied a sealant (again, griots garage but there are many good options for sale here).
    Thank You Pilot, is the sealant you speak of the same as the coating fly spoke of?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I agree with the pressure wash method. Knock as much off as possible with that first. I would then foam it up with a good car soap, let it dwell but not DRY! Then rinse again. After i have done those first steps i would proceed to my 2 bucket wash.

Then, like fly said, get a good LSP on there if not already.
    Thanks Puckman. I take it that LSP, coating and sealant are all the same thing?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the replies.

Here is what I have got so far.

1. After initial washing, apply some sort of coating, sealant or LSP.
    2. Add mud, dirt and grime.
    3. Spray down well with pressure washer.
    4. Wash with two bucket system.
    5. Re-apply sealant, LSP type coating.

Easy enough. I guess now I have to figure out what a good sealant, LSP coating is? Appreciate recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dthor68 View Post
    Thanks Puckman. I take it that LSP, coating and sealant are all the same thing?
    LSP stands for "last step product" meaning wax, sealant, coating....

The terminology can be a little confusing as some people use them interchangeably. Coatings are generally pricy and a little harder to apply but will last much longer than a wax or synthetic sealant. All depends on what route you want to go.
    “A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast