autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best advice for polishing and coating my truck

Ok, so I have a couple of threads already relating to my headlights and what order for the process of detailing combining paint correction and trim. This question is different from them.

I want to work my truck over but I am not going to get into extreme detail. I just want to make it look as good as practical. It is my DD and stays outside 24/7. The hood has a multitude of crows feet and the clear coat has failed on the right rear panel. There is a spot of about 12 inches in diameter where the clear has flaked off.

I know there is some discussion as to what one-step correction is. There seems to be a couple of different ideas on the so let me just tell you what I would like to do. I would like to use one-step to polish the paint and then I will wax/or seal it. I am going with wax right now (probably 845) but that can always change.

So my question is what materials would some of you recommend to polish it out in one step to get the most done without having to do another step? The paint has lots of swirls and some scratches, but that is mostly on top of the door where a brach rubbed in winds one day before I cut it off. I have seen a video that CG did where they used their V36 with one-step correction and then waxed it. I will say that I would like to use a product that has good work time and little/no dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best advice for polishing and coating my truck

Most of us will tell you to do a test spot to see what works. In all honesty each vehicle is different.

I would not recommend V36. From your description, it sounds like you may have a few major scratches. A product which is in the similar price range but with better reputation would be HD Adapt. Try that with a medium cut pad of your choice. There isn't one answer for your situation.
    Do you currently own any products?

And thank you for spelling it advice and not advise.

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to say anything, and believe me, I am not the worlds expert on the english language, but there are times that it is disconcerting to read some things. For example, the words there, their, and they're. The biggest culprit seems to be the use of 'there' when it should be 'their'.

I do have PB SSR 2.5. Not sure how good it is after sitting outside for a couple of years. What I did not like was the dusting. Here is a pic I did back then that shows the hood after using the PB a couple of times.

That was a pic done with my camera. The next two pics I took with my cell phone as I don't have my camera here at work. This first one is the clear coat failure. The second one is the scratches on the paint done by the tree. Nevermind the dirt. Was will come later.

Post Thanks / Like

Those tree branch scratches are fairly deep. If that truck came to me, I would use M100 or Menzerna Fg400. Fg400 can work for a good amount of time.
    If you decide to use what you already have, you can try misting the panel with a pad primer solution. That may help with the dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about the FG400. I have also heard good things about HD ADAPT. You think I should use an orange pad for that? Also,how would you handle the area with no clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a good one stuff I use Menzerna 3 in 1 and it has amazing results. If you want a little bit more longevity you can go ahead and top it with Collinite 845

Post Thanks / Like

Personally my opinion only would be just to clean it up,give it a good wash and wax.There is no solo one step that will give you favorable results.That truck needs serious work.some rotary work is in order for that paint along with some cutting compound and polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Personally my opinion only would be just to clean it up,give it a good wash and wax.There is no solo one step that will give you favorable results.That truck needs serious work.some rotary work is in order for that paint along with some cutting compound and polish.
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

As I said, I am not looking to try and make it a show truck. It couldn't happen anyways without being repainted, especially with the crows feet and failed clear coat. That said, not doing anything but a wash and a wax is crazy. I can do a lot with going over it with the right polish and pad. The best advice of not doing anything isn't going to work. I don't expect to get out those big scratched but I can make it look better.

Is there anyway to make the area that has lost clear coat shine a bit? Would it be worth it to sand the edges and give it a spray of clear coat just to add some sort of protection?

Post Thanks / Like

I did that on my daughters beater car and it came out better looking than leaving the missing clear section. I am no painter but some simple, basic principles of cleaning well, sanding out a bit and multiple layers of rattle can clear dressed it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast