autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They say there are no dumb questions...

I will now give the lie to the old adage that there are no dumb questions:

1) What time of day should I wash my car? If I do it before the sun comes up or after it's down, I'll freeze, this month anyway, and will not be able to see very well. Should I just wait for an overcast sky? (The car is garaged, but I have sheetrock on the walls and so I don't know about washing it in there.)

2) On how much of my car can I apply polish with my Porter/Cable before I start buffing it out with the lambskin? The reason for this question is that I can't leave polish on too long, but surely I am not supposed to be changing pads and bonnets, etc., every time I complete the application of polish to one panel or, for example, one half of the hood or one quarter of the top. I wouldn't mind changing twice, so is it reasonable to apply polish to half the car, then change pads and buff before going back to the applicator?

One possible solution is to apply the polish by hand to 1/4 of the car, and buff with the one lambskin/bonnet application right after.

Thanks for your expertise.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: They say there are no dumb questions...

First , welcome. Second, what to you is polish? Polish is typically worked 2x2 sections at a time, like a compound. Are you talking about applying a wax?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Billy, and thanks for responding. The product is "Meguiars Ultimate Polish/Pre-waxing Glaze."

You're probably familiar with it:

I think I'm worried about nothing, as the instructions appear to call for application of the product to a foam pad on my Porter-Cable and then "wipe dry with a microfiber towel," of which I have tons. I had assumed that the pad used to apply the stuff would be a different pad from what you'd use to polish. Now I'm thinking (and a few videos confirm) that it's a one-step polishing procedure that does not involve changing pads at all.

This leaves me to wonder why I bought a lambswool pad and cloth bonnets. What in the heck are those for? Waxing??

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Washing: Do a waterless wash. Get Ultima Waterless Wash Plus. Mix 3 oz in a gallon of distilled water. Spray panel by panel. Wipe with microfiber towel. It will not streak. It will not scratch paint if used per directions. Another brand is Wolfgang Uber. You will use 10-15 oz of the mixed product to do a car. One 16oz bottle of UWW+ makes about 6.5 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

You can wash whenever the temp is comfortable and above freezing. Products that don't work in the sun means they don't work well in the hot summer sun where the surface temperature is hot to the touch.

I think you can use the microfiber bonnets to remove wax residue. Maybe polish residue too, but you may need many. They can be double sided.

Most here use a quality paint safe microfiber towel for polish and wax removal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellows, I appreciate you. Does anyone know what my lambswool pad is for? I bought the l/wool pad along with the P/cable (not here) and got the bonnets here because I thought they went over the lambswool pad. This place sold them to me for that reason. I'm not at all complaining if it is only designed to remove wax, as I'll use it eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash your car whenever you have the time--as long as the soap won't freeze (way too cold) or dry (way too hot) on the paint.

Use the best quality microfibers to remove polish after buffing each section.

Save the bonnets for removing wax.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Save the bonnets for removing wax.

HOLD EVERYTHING, PLEASE!!! When I first read this, I assumed you meant removing old wax. I now think you mean final buffing of the car after new wax is freshly applied. Is this what you mean?

I appreciate your patience.

Post Thanks / Like

When you polish with the DA and Ultimate Polish, the old wax / sealant will be removed. Gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast