autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My wheel regime is killing me, help!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    My Focus ST has terrible dusting issues so the wheels take forever. Before the summers go back on I bought some CQuartz Dlux and plan on coating my wheels to see if they cleanup faster
    They will.. I have EBC Red pads and my wheels take a week to get filthy. Coated wheels are easier to clean as it doesn't stick as much.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel brightener you say..... Stronger than the D101 I assume or just formulated for wheels? I'll give it a go and pick up a power washer. I've been trying to put off a power washer but knew I'd need one at some point. Seems now may be the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamMaster Jay View Post
    So most of my details have been taking too long because of my wheel regime. I'm spending close to an hour with setting up and starting on wheels, rims & wheel wells first. I've been using Meg's super degreaser and it works great but it takes me two maybe three passes to get them where I feel they're appropriate. Been going with a 4:1 ratio and using a combo of speed master, wheel woollies and mothers brushes. I spray the tires with the D108 in a foam sprayer, let sit 2 mins, scrub, rinse and inspect. Should I be scrubbing more, letting the degreaser set for longer or what? I've got to cut this time down if I plan on making money. Help!?!

When spraying D108 Super Degreaser @4:1... Foaming sprayer is not a must. Also, if you're agitating with a brush [as you should] it's not necessary to let sit for 2 min.. You could actually begin agitating a few seconds after spraying the tire and it'll work just as fine.

Don't forget to spray down the wheel wells too..

Same goes for D140 Wheel Brightener @4:1. Spray, agitate, then rinse off everything. Wheel well, tire, wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

There are stronger and more effective products out there for cleaning wheels. Megs Wheel Brightener is actually a pretty weak acid (in comparison to others that are available). Also, Megs Super Degreaser is quite possibly the weakest degreaser I've ever used. I love Meguiars products and use almost their entire Detailers line but these two products don't seem to meet my needs. I'm not sure if Autogeek carries a stronger acid based wheel cleaner but that is probably what you're looking for. Learn how to use it safely and it will clean the most neglected wheels in a fraction of the time. Also, check out 3D Yellow Degreaser. 100 times more effective than the Megs degreaser, brown just melts off the tires with almost no need to agitate.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vanev View Post
    OP.

You are not doing anything wrong.
    The time factor you stated is on par with the amount of time it takes to do the job for tires, wheels, and, wheel wells.
    This if you are detailing, and not just blasting through.
    This is true for many detailers, including myself.

Time Factor:
    There are always approaches one can take to lessen the time it takes to complete any task.
    I would suggest caution in comparing time frames to other detailers in your area, and to those stated in social media.
    I have no doubt there are detailers out there who can detail at amazing speed.
    I can move with the best of them and have yet to figure out how miraculous time frame auto detail completions are possible.
    Then again, not everyone has the same definition of a detail.
    Cleaning and detailing are not always the same thing.

The condition always factors into the time frame.
    Stronger chemical cleaners may assist in the labor process and time factor, so do keep that in mind.
    I more often than not encounter worst case scenarios.
    I also primarily use steam clean and rinseless wash solutions, which at times can slow the process down, and at other times can speed the time frame up, just depends.

Price Point:
    Make sure the price you charge factors in the time frame it takes to complete the job.
    At some point, you will reach the fastest time frame possible for you to complete the job, and will just not be able to go any faster.
    Make sure you are compensated to make the job worth your while.

Best response. Also, try Optimum's Power Clean. Works well for just about everything. Undiluted for nasty wheel cleaning. Also Carpro's IronX is muy bueno. My wheel regime is killing me, help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You want fast then you have to spend the money on Sonax FE and wheel woolies. I tried all the degreasers, APC and cheaper wheel cleaners...waste of time. I dont even know how anyone on this forum recommends any of the apc or degreasers. Yeah they are cheaper but you have to work your ass off to get anywhere. With Sonax it melts right off.

I also use the BMW wheel cleaner which works fantastic and is cheaper than the Sonax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    You want fast then you have to spend the money on Sonax FE and wheel woolies. I tried all the degreasers, APC and cheaper wheel cleaners...waste of time. I dont even know how anyone on this forum recommends any of the apc or degreasers. Yeah they are cheaper but you have to work your ass off to get anywhere. With Sonax it melts right off.

I also use the BMW wheel cleaner which works fantastic and is cheaper than the Sonax.

Is Sonax FE the 1 that's similar to DUB Wheel Cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Is Sonax FE the 1 that's similar to DUB Wheel Cleaner?
    Correct

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Tip

When spraying wheel cleaners...start at the bottom of the wheel and work your way to the top.

This prevents the drip lines that sometimes occur when you start spraying at the top of the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    I was referring to wheels that have been neglected and not properly maintained. It seems that I have mostly worked on wheels that have never had the inner barrels cleaned and therefore have a build up of brake dust and tar deposits.

I may be strange but I like detailing wheels, probably one of my favorite parts. I like it when the customer says that their wheels never looked so good. I like for the wheels to look like they were removed and cleaned. Fortunately, I have had customers who don't mind paying for the extra time it takes to do a thorough job.

If the wheels were somewhat maintained and sealed or coated then of course it goes faster.

To be more exact, on the average, it takes me about 12 to 15 minutes, so about 45 minutes to an hour total, sometimes less and sometimes more depending on the condition and type of wheel, and that is for the wheels (face and inner barrels), tires and wheel wells.
    For neglected wheels just use megs wheel brightener. Makes the world easier.

On my wheels, there's no way I'm going to get the barrel clean with the spoke style so I just spray wheel brightener back there and wash off. The face I use a Flaggtip brush and wiggle them into the mesh and it cleans them nicely

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast