autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Avoid micro marring when coating a black car

I polished the paint to perfect with 4000 and black pad.
    After i apply the gtech coating and buff it off, i can see all the micro marring in my paint....

Is it impossible to avoid it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avoid micro marring when coating a black car

What kind of car do you have some paint is very soft. What towels are you using. I have had jet black bmws, black Honda and Subaru paint exhibit this trait. The only way to combat is with super soft towels and a light touch. It can really be frustrating and increase the length of time the job can take.

Pictures might help. Are you sure the finish was swirl free before the Gtechnig?

Are you sure your not looking at residual high spots?

I have used Exo on dark cars without issue. However if I miss a high spot it needs re polishing on a dark car where a light car can be rubbed out with more Exo and an applicator.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35x View Post
    What kind of car do you have some paint is very soft. What towels are you using. I have had jet black bmws, black Honda and Subaru paint exhibit this trait. The only way to combat is with super soft towels and a light touch. It can really be frustrating and increase the length of time the job can take.
    I got a jet black bmw and the paint is extremely soft. I tried many micro fiber including those ultra soft and thick 600 GSM and still got micro marring. I dried the car with waffle weave using 0 pressure still got no luck.

im sure i was swirl free before the gtechnig cos i just repolished the car with 0 pressure using 4000 with black pad. A tiny pressure on the pad would cause micro marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by binge View Post
    I got a jet black bmw and the paint is extremely soft. I tried many micro fiber including those ultra soft and thick 600 GSM and still got micro marring. I dried the car with waffle weave using 0 pressure still got no luck.

im sure i was swirl free before the gtechnig cos i just repolished the car with 0 pressure using 4000 with black pad. A tiny pressure on the pad would cause micro marring.
    If you mean Menzerna 4000, it's very oily and might hide the marring it is leaving behind. Are you doing any kind of panel wipe prior to using the coating? Woobie Microfiber Towel, 3-Pack, buffing towel, edgeless polishing cloth These are my go to for super soft paint. As little pressure as possible.

As far as drying the car, forced air is your best bet, if not, lay the waffle weave towel across the paint and blot it dry, don't move the towel over the paint all. Finish with detail spray and a really plush microfiber, wiping lightly.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    If you mean Menzerna 4000, it's very oily and might hide the marring it is leaving behind. Are you doing any kind of panel wipe prior to using the coating? Woobie Microfiber Towel, 3-Pack, buffing towel, edgeless polishing cloth These are my go to for super soft paint. As little pressure as possible.

As far as drying the car, forced air is your best bet, if not, lay the waffle weave towel across the paint and blot it dry, don't move the towel over the paint all. Finish with detail spray and a really plush microfiber, wiping lightly.
    ^^ this. It's the same with my Audi.

Key tips:
    Blot dry with high quality MF/waffle weave

Never use the cheap MF towels. You know the ones that stick and pull on dry hands.

When removing Polish or sealants it's with only 480 GSM or better MF rags and with a very very light movement.

Never Polish or buff even a freshly sealed car with a dry MF towel. It's often enjoyable to go back and really do so admiring your efforts and the paint but do it and you'll get micro marring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

yup i panel wiped with gtech using the exact same towel.
    Ill try to increase the amount of panel wipe to reduce the wiping to see how it goes

Just wondering will you guys wash the car after polising or just panel wipe before caoting/wax

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    ^^ this. It's the same with my Audi.

Key tips:
    Blot dry with high quality MF/waffle weave

Never use the cheap MF towels. You know the ones that stick and pull on dry hands.

When removing Polish or sealants it's with only 480 GSM or better MF rags and with a very very light movement.

Never Polish or buff even a freshly sealed car with a dry MF towel. It's often enjoyable to go back and really do so admiring your efforts and the paint but do it and you'll get micro marring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / Like

Which gtechniq coating are you using?

What year BMW?

Post Thanks / Like

I would switch to Essence and avoid the IPA/Panel wipe down all together on paint this soft

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    Which gtechniq coating are you using?

What year BMW?
    im using c1 with exo v2
    06 e90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast