autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Maximizing Detailing Supplies

I own a part-time auto detailing business. Recently, I started a separate venture buying/selling/restoring/trading Air Jordan shoes. it worked out well, since I had 90% of the items I would need for the cleaning and restoration part of it. it got me thinking and wondering if I truly had the best products for what I was looking to do. So, figured I would make a post. My goal is to "work smarter, not harder".

I am looking for recommendations on products to address the following:

1. Cleaning rubber soles. I have been using a scrub brush and APC and it works okay. I have also tried my Meguiar's wheel and tire cleaner which works a little bit better and I have also tried Bleche Wite, which didn't work as well as I thought it would on the white. Looking for something to really get the soles clean and whiten as well. Apparently the Bleche Wite I used in high school is not the same as now...

2. Cleaning the insides. I have been using my CG fabric upholstery cleaner, but it doesn't result in a good aftersmell for some reason. Same with Folex. Looking for something to address the odor issue and really clean the soles. My ozonator is working wonders but I am looking for other suggestions.

3. Leather (tumbled). I have been using a dedicated shoe cleaner and have also used my Blue Magic Leather Cleaner. Both yield similar results but I am looking for something that is better at really whitening the white leather.

4. I have been using my 303 protectant to seal leather and suede on the shoes. I was wondering if there was any kind of a rubber protectant or sealant that was completely flat as far as sheen goes. I was thinking of adding a tire sealant on the rubber parts of the front and sides for protection, but there is the sheen problem.

Any other suggestions for my venture to maximize cleaning/protection potential on both cars and shoes? Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maximizing Detailing Supplies

Two words: Steam Cleaner.

Have you consider purchasing a steam cleaner? For shoes especially you won't need anything too big or powerful. I have a Vapamore MR-100 and I could see that being great for cleaning shoes quickly and efficiently. A $1 gallon of distilled water will clean a ton of shoes and you'll be disinfecting and sanitizing the shoes at the same time. Just don't get the nozzle get too close to the shoe or you may cause some damage.

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray@Autogeek View Post
    Two words: Steam Cleaner.

Have you consider purchasing a steam cleaner? For shoes especially you won't need anything too big or powerful. I have a Vapamore MR-100 and I could see that being great for cleaning shoes quickly and efficiently. A $1 gallon of distilled water will clean a ton of shoes and you'll be disinfecting and sanitizing the shoes at the same time. Just don't get the nozzle get too close to the shoe or you may cause some damage.
    I completely forgot to mention that. Yeah, I have the VX5000 that is phenomenal for cleaning. Here is the one problem with it...when I use heavy steam to sanitize the insides of the shoes and they get damp due to it, they shrink REALLY bad when they full dry. They then end up being very stuff. I can take a size 12 that is loose on my foot and if I steam it heavily, it ends up fitting very snug like an 11 or 11.5. I have since stopped doing the insides and relying on my cleaners to remove the smell.

You do have to be careful though because it can remove paint from the sole and/or leather if it gets too close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    4. I have been using my 303 protectant
    to seal leather and suede on the shoes.
    As to 303AP:
    My thinking is that it's not for use on suede leather
    (either Natural/Synthetic), or fabrics (like Canvas).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    As to 303AP:
    My thinking is that it's not for use on suede leather
    (either Natural/Synthetic), or fabrics (like Canvas).

Bob
    It's the 303 Fabric Guard that I use, not the protectant. My bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    It's the 303 Fabric Guard that I use, not the protectant. My bad.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine that I sometimes detail with does the same thing. I'll ask him what he uses and get back with you. He says something about making them "icy" again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrb_subie View Post
    A friend of mine that I sometimes detail with does the same thing. I'll ask him what he uses and get back with you. He says something about making them "icy" again.
    Odd, I talked to a friend that I detail with sometimes about making soles "icy" again. He also drives a Subaru. Small world.

Post Thanks / Like

To me personally if your gonna clean cars then invest in the right tools and products.leave your sneaker thing separate good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    To me personally if your gonna clean cars then invest in the right tools and products.leave your sneaker thing separate good luck.
    I have...trying to invest in the right products that work hand in hand since a lot of the materials (rubber, etc) are the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast