autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Severe old paint water spot removal

I just purchased a 1981 911 SC. It's in need of a paint job, but I want to make it look as good as possible without painting. I'm going for clean, but "patina", because I can't afford to paint.

The SC is known as super reliable, with no top end rebuilds required often until 300k miles. So it is going to be my daily driver.

The water spots look like they are decades old. Don,t know how to judge that, but they are deep in the clear coat.

I went over part of the car with Maguires Ultimate Compound using my Flex 3401 and a wool pad yesterday. It worked great for the haze and a lot of auto carwash brush marks, but did not make a dent in the water spots.

I'm thinking the next step is wet sanding with a 2,500 or 3,000 grit. I'd rather do that as a last resort, because I am not a professional and don't want to make a mistake.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Severe old paint water spot removal

Quote Originally Posted by DoninDEN View Post
    I just purchased a 1981 911 SC. It's in need of a paint job, but I want to make it look as good as possible without painting. I'm going for clean, but "patina", because I can't afford to paint.

The SC is known as super reliable, with no top end rebuilds required often until 300k miles. So it is going to be my daily driver.

The water spots look like they are decades old. Don,t know how to judge that, but they are deep in the clear coat.

I went over part of the car with Maguires Ultimate Compound using my Flex 3401 and a wool pad yesterday. It worked great for the haze and a lot of auto carwash brush marks, but did not make a dent in the water spots.

I'm thinking the next step is wet sanding with a 2,500 or 3,000 grit. I'd rather do that as a last resort, because I am not a professional and don't want to make a mistake.

Any suggestions?
    Wetsanding would be destructive on a old original paint,try using iron x or carpro products to take care of waterspots.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Wetsanding would be destructive on a old original paint,try using iron x or carpro products to take care of waterspots.
    Will they work with old etched water spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoninDEN View Post
    Will they work with old etched water spots?
    Maybe a improvement but better than sanding them out.