autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

High end detailing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only way to make good money is by doing high end detailing, on what are mostly high end cars. Am I wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High end detailing

Depends where you are. Obviously, doing production details isn't as lucrative, but you can make damn good money doing either one.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your clientele, I do a lot of what you would call normal cars. However the owners are very enthusiastic about how the car looks. So we only do SAFE full corrections. About 95 percent of our work is coatings now and fortunately we can charge accordingly

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that coatings are the thing now, for protection is there really no comparison from waxes, and sealants? I know coatings are more difficult to apply, but will waxes and sealants die off? i've never dealt with coatings yet, I want to buy some this summer and try it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering. Economically, is coating a car that will not need finish enhancement for 2 or more years more profitable than regular maintenance and wax or sealant every 3 to 6 months?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=andy2485;1339452]Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only way to make good money is by doing high end detailing, on what are mostly high end cars. Am I wrong?[/QUOTE yes and no,production detailing can match the same revenue as high end detailing .The drawbacks with production is more chemical and more cars but busy year round .Highend detailing doesn't fall in your lap easy,you kinda have to chase it a little.You can go as long as 3'weeks trying to find the thousand dollar detail so you better have some cash aside to eat.also if you charge a 100 dollar an hr detail if the customer finds something you missed your finished.I leave myself in the middle of production and Highend but with prices realistic for the workingman.Next month I will do 15 classic car details for winter national and charge enough for good profit but not overboard on price and I make a pretty good living doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on the scale of your "production" cause there are a lot of corporations that make some big money doing production detaling. Delta Sonic is the big one here in Rochester. If you were the CEO Im sure you would make quite a living.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Decide what you want the business to look like 5-10 years from now, then go from there.
    If you want several employees and a big shop then production is feasible.
    If you want to make a good living detailing by yourself then I'd suggest going the mid-high end route. Coatings are big money now, if you play your cards right you could be doing production coatings, but that would require a few employees and the market to support such a venture.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Offer value to your customers, whomever they are, and always deliver that value. If you do that, you'll make money no matter if you're doing 1 car a month and spending every day on it, or doing 100 cars a day as a CEO sitting in the office. Just offer value and a solution to a problem.
    Clarity Auto Detailing
    Houston, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andy2485 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only way to make good money is by doing high end detailing, on what are mostly high end cars. Am I wrong?
    It all depends. My area has everything from the roadside $50 wash/spray wax characters to the $1500 high end CQ Finest guys. Both are busy, just depends on the clientele you are going for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast