autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber care before wash?

I'm not a fan of running the washer for just a handful of microfiber towels, so I let them build up a little bit so I can wash one significant load. When you guys are done with your dirtied up microfiber towels directly after use, what do you do with them between that time and when you wash them? Do you just throw them into a pile or something else?

I've been putting them into a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and 3 oz of 3D Towel Kleen, but I don't know if this is safe for the towels and if it is, how long they can be kept in there before a wash.

Thoughts?
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber care before wash?

It's certainly safe for the towels, usually the water goes rancid, but I guess that depends on how long you are soaking them, whether it's a day, a week, a month, a quarter, etc. (I've never done this with Towel Kleen, so maybe that will keep). I just keep them dry until I wash.

If I have pads or applicators which tend to have more product in them, I will sometimes give them a shot of pad cleaner or APC, although I did have one pad cleaner that seemed to do something to the Velcro when I did that.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't have an effect on the towels. Now pads on the other hand, its my understanding they don't like to be wet for extended periods of time, so as long your not soaking those, you should be good to go.
    2018 Black on Black Subaru WRX - 2015 White on Black Jeep JKUR
    2002 Yellow GMC Sonoma - 1968 Go Mango Plymouth Roadrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. Only talking about mf towels.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rogue,

I have a laundry bag (small) where they accumulate for a large load. Also one shoelace, at the top of the bag, through the knit, allows for tying the bag, onto anything & it's easier to feed the bag. The bag has a zipper. Amazing how many MF's you can get in of these small bags.

Often times I'll a squirt of dawn in the sink, soak, rinse, ring, dry, (air), then into the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

I soak mine throughout the week and wash them all on the weekends. I use a couple squirts of 3D microfiber cleaner and water in a trash can. No issues with doing it this way.

Post Thanks / Like

I put mine in a cardboard box until I have a small sized load. I don't wash many at a time. I want a lot of water to flow through them. Anything to keep dust and dirt out of them is may main goal. If one is wet I hang it until it's dry before it goes in the box.

Post Thanks / Like

I just keep them in one of my 5 gallon buckets. I like washing in smaller loads to attempt to wash and rinse more effectively, not sure if it makes a difference. I don't like to wait too long and let the debris dry into the fibers of the towels. I don't think I have ever waited more than 12 hours to wash my MF's. I think this may be an OCD thing. I just bought 150 oz of Purex free and clear detergent and it seems to clean very effectively. Really affordable too.

My towels get stored in ziplock bags then go into a cheap 3 drawer Sterilite brand clear plastic tote. The ziplock bags are nice for sorting and transport.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered about this and ended up being too paranoid about leaving products in the towels to settle for days. I just use a lot of towels anytime I do anything and wash immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

No! No one it seems knows how to treat these microfiber towels. After use you wash them, simple as that. I never let them sit or soak for more than a few hours. I don't care if you only have three or four towels - wash them. Every time I use a towel it goes in a bucket with a solution of hot (very hot) water with a scoop of OxiClean. Mix it up good and let them sit in the solution for a couple hours. Then wash them with your favorite microfiber restore detergent. If you don't have that then use a free and clear liquid detergent followed by a rinse (preferably two rinses) with a half cup of white vinegar in the fabric softener cycle. Hang to dry on a clothes line as long as it is not too windy, or use a wrinkle control cycle on your dryer. That's how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast