autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing solvent based tire shine before coating?

So I finally bought the DP tire coating... But I have a small problem.

I've applied a solvent based tire shine weekly now for about 5 months and I can't get it out of the tires. I've washed then 5 times with DP tire cleaner and degreaser as well and I can't seem to get them to stop beading water. Any ideas on how to properly prep these tires to be coated?
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing solvent based tire shine before coating?

I just got Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner trying to figure out what dilution to apply on coated tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Tarminator is pretty effective, but will still probably take a couple applications and lots of rinsing. Be prepared to spend some time cleaning your brushes afterward
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me people have said they've had to do 10 cleanings...seems people usually use some other cleaner first so they don't use up all the DP cleaner. Another thing is after you've got the beading to stop...let the tire "rest" for a couple of days to let some more dressing come to the surface...from what I understand getting a tire that you've used a solvent/oil-based dressing on for a long time can be quite a process to get it ready for coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It seems to me people have said they've had to do 10 cleanings...seems people usually use some other cleaner first so they don't use up all the DP cleaner. Another thing is after you've got the beading to stop...let the tire "rest" for a couple of days to let some more dressing come to the surface...from what I understand getting a tire that you've used a solvent/oil-based dressing on for a long time can be quite a process to get it ready for coating.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think I might just clean them once a day for a couple weeks. I bought 2 16oz bottles so I could offer it as an option for correction/coating customers but now that I'm running into this I'm not sure haha.
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    Yeah, I'm starting to think I might just clean them once a day for a couple weeks. I bought 2 16oz bottles so I could offer it as an option for correction/coating customers but now that I'm running into this I'm not sure haha.
    It's an interesting question for you as to whether it's a good option to offer...with the combination of the potential difficulty of cleaning and a comeback if the coating peels, and whether it helps you or not with keeping your customers regular...do they come back for a wash when the tires start to look undressed? I'm just wondering if it's better for you to coat them and have the customer happy that the tires look better for longer--or if that's worse for you because they won't come back as often.

Post Thanks / Like

I've applied a solvent based tire shine weekly now for about 5 months and I can't get it out of the tires. I've washed then 5 times with DP tire cleaner and degreaser as well and I can't seem to get them to stop beading water. Any ideas on how to properly prep these tires to be coated?
    They look good to me,I think the beading is from the rubber it's self not the tire solvent.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a white towel to them and see what is left on the tire.Its a indicator to see if there is still silicone left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It's an interesting question for you as to whether it's a good option to offer...with the combination of the potential difficulty of cleaning and a comeback if the coating peels, and whether it helps you or not with keeping your customers regular...do they come back for a wash when the tires start to look undressed? I'm just wondering if it's better for you to coat them and have the customer happy that the tires look better for longer--or if that's worse for you because they won't come back as often.
    I hardly do any maintenance washes. Now that you bring it up I think the coating might actually increase the amount of maintance washes I do. Say once the coating wears off they come in for tire coating, wash, and hydro2 application. I'd say every 4-6 months?

It's just that most of my customers aren't the "executive types" who value their time so much that they don't want to do the washes.
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be to use a solvent based (preferably containing mineral spirits) wax and grease remover product such as Prep-All(comes in a green and red gallon can). It's a body shop type of product that would be used for wiping a car down before it goes into paint.

We do a lot of wheel cosmetic touch ups for a local mercedes dealership on a mobile basis and occasionally we'll run into a car with three or four year old tires that have had layer after layer of silicone put on them to the point that I can take a plastic scraper and actually pull off a thick layer of hard/gel'd silicone. Generally I'll scrape off what I can, then start flooding the tire with prep-all and use a small brush to agitate it. We've tried all kinds of stuff over the years including higher end water based products that claim to be designed specifically for removing silicone and they can't hold a candle to the solvent based stuff we use. I don't even like using the solvent stuff because I hate smelling the fumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast