autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing MF's with Megs APC

I use both Tide free&clear & megs apc to wash my towels, I just make sure to turn on the second rinse cycle. Never had an issue and they come out clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @Willowcat. You mean washing them in APC only, instead of laundry detergent? I've never tried that.. I've pre soaked in APC prior to tossing them in the washer, but never replaced laundry soap with APC.

How much undiluted D101 do you add to the wash?

Well, I first put a small splash(I didn't measure) of APC(undiluted) into the bottom of a bucket filled with water and worked it up to a foam with my MF's in it. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wrung them out, and tossed them all in the wash machine. Then put 2oz.(undiluted) more APC in the dispenser of the machine, and put it on extra rinse.

Overkill, ha?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I soak in a bucket of 3D Towel Kleen with a Grit Guard at the bottom and scrub on that. Then wring out and toss in the washer.

That sounds like a good idea.👆🏽
    I usually do a pre wash in a bucket w/grit guard using my normL car wash soap and it works well, but I bet using a bit of 3D Towel Kleen would work even better. I'll do that from now on. Thx for the tip.

That being said, I'm not sure if those applicators will ever come totally clean.. I have several applicators [foam/microfiber/terry] that I've used for applying dressing to weatherstripping, trim, even some that were used to apply leather cleaner/conditioner that have never gotten totally clean after washing. Good thing they're small and easily replaceable.

Post Thanks / Like

Washing MF's with Megs APC

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    Well, I first put a small splash(I didn't measure) of APC(undiluted) into the bottom of a bucket filled with water and worked it up to a foam with my MF's in it. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wrung them out, and tossed them all in the wash machine. Then put 2oz.(undiluted) more APC in the dispenser of the machine, and put it on extra rinse.

Overkill, ha?

So no laundry detergent?

That's the thing, I've never known how much APC is adequate to handle a full washload of microfibers. How bout if 2oz. isn't nearly enough? That would suck. Lol. Which is why I've always stuck with laundry detergent, or these days dedicated microfiber detergent in the washing machine.

Do you have a grit guard for your bucket pre soak? If not, you oughta get 1. IMO the grit guard is useless for bucket washes, but valuable for pre washing microfiber towels in a bucket. That's the only time I use mine

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good idea.👆🏽
    I usually do a pre wash in a bucket w/grit guard using my normL car wash soap and it works well, but I bet using a bit of 3D Towel Kleen would work even better. I'll do that from now on. Thx for the tip.

That being said, I'm not sure if those applicators will ever come totally clean.. I have several applicators [foam/microfiber/terry] that I've used for applying dressing to weatherstripping, trim, even some that were used to apply leather cleaner/conditioner that have never gotten totally clean after washing. Good thing they're small and easily replaceable.
    I only get my MF applicators at O'Reilly's and use a $5 off $5 coupon so a six pack ends up being less than a dollar.

Since I only use them for interior dressing I never have an issue with them not getting clean. Everything I apply to the exterior is either with a DA or suede pads.

I do the same thing when washing my black towels I use for rinseless washing my wheels, but I make sure to do it in my wheel bucket with its corresponding Grit Guard to prevent cross-contamination.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Applicators scare me a little, because of what might be on some of them.

But I'll tell you what. When using the method I just stated above. I did a little different for my applicators. Instead of 15 minutes, I left them in the solution for a couple hours, then through them the wash with my not-so-nice towels. I used 5 applicators the other day.

1. Ultimate Protectant
    2. Megs Leather Sealer
    3. White Wax
    4. Ultimate Black Lotion
    5. Ultimate Black Trim Restorer( I used an Applicator to wipe any IMMEDIATE overspray on wheels and paint.

I left them in the APC bucket for a couple hours, and every one is clean as a whistle. I was just going to throw the Trim Restorer one away, cause I figured it would be shot. But it feels and smells very clean without any sort of stickiness or hardness from that long term product. It's got some black stains on it, but that was from hitting inside of the wheel well so I figured that was going to stain it anyway.

But I will ONLY use that applicator for Trim again and nothing else just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I only get my MF applicators at O'Reilly's and use a $5 off $5 coupon so a six pack ends up being less than a dollar.

I have a few microfiber applicators from Oreillys and they're good.. And that is a great deal.. But recently I've found these microfiber applicators at Harbor Freight which I use to apply Leather Cleaner/Conditioner and I'm in love with them. They're large hand sized, soft + have a pocket to place your hand in. They're only $1! I've been meaning to go back and buy a few more.

Washing MF's with Megs APC-imageuploadedbyagonline1452921906-475611-jpg

Washing MF's with Megs APC-imageuploadedbyagonline1452921918-659569-jpg

I get my Terry applicators in a 2 pk. from the 99cent store😉

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    Ultimate Black Trim Restorer( I used an Applicator to wipe any IMMEDIATE overspray on wheels and paint.

Why aren't you taping off?? Lol.

And you used the aerosol Ultimate Black Trim Restorer on tires? How'd that turn out?

Post Thanks / Like

@Willowcat. You mean washing them in APC only, instead of laundry detergent? I've never tried that.. I've pre soaked in APC prior to tossing them in the washer, but never replaced laundry soap with APC.

How much undiluted D101 do you add to the wash?
    So no laundry detergent?

That's the thing, I've never known how much APC is adequate to handle a full washload of microfibers. How bout if 2oz. isn't nearly enough? That would suck. Lol. Which is why I've always stuck with laundry detergent, or these days dedicated microfiber detergent in the washing machine.

Do you have a grit guard for your bucket pre soak? If not, you oughta get 1. IMO the grit guard is useless for bucket washes, but valuable for pre washing microfiber towels in a bucket. That's the only time I use mine
    Grit guards are completely new to me, I don't even know what they do. But would like to. I hear about them all the time. I still have so much to learn about the detailing world, but I used 2 ounces, because that is what I saw the 3D Towel Kleen says to do. But even if it wasn't that much, I figured that all of my towels already had a bunch of APC from the pre soak so that would be in there also.

But I would really like to know what a Proper Amount of APC could possibly be for a Wash Machine. I wonder if Megs would even comment on something like that, since thats not what is was intended for.

I wiped down my mirrors today with some of my APC cleaned towels, and didn't experience any smears, or streaks at all.

The Extra Rinse may have helped too.

Post Thanks / Like

No dude, I did tape off. 3 strips deep of 2" masking. But it was stinkin windy. This Trim Restorer is doing Awesome with the number of snows, rains, and all the salt we have. But man, I just don't know about all the preparation you have to do for it. And how much you have to watch out for the wind. I think when this stuff wears off, I'm going to switch to Wolfgangs Exterior Trim which I can apply by hand. I probably would rather do it more often by hand, than less often with aerosol.

No, I didn't use the Trim Restorer on the Tires. I just used the Regular UB Tire Aerosol. It would be cool to find out if the Trim Restorer WOULD work on tires though. That seems long lasting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast