autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New VW Factory Paint.

Does anyone have experience working with the paint on new VW's (2015+). I'm not sure if this I true or not but I have always heard that VW's and Audi's generally have hard paint.

I have a fairly new MK7 GTI, Deep Black Pearl color paint.
    Even after I did a new car prep, polished that cleaned up any defects from the factory and/or dealer and has been property sealed and resealed ever month. Anyway, I've noticed that the paint seems to get scratched or marred very easily. I feel like if I breath on it the wrong way it might inflict something on the paint.

I'm looking to do some paint correction in the near future and would appreciate any input as to the paint on new (2015+) VW's being soft or hard. Especially the Deep Black Pearl color paint.

Any input or advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New VW Factory Paint.

My suggestion is to correct it then apply a good coating. WG Uber, CQUK, OPT GLoss Coat or BF Crystal Coat.

I noticed my '14 Touareg in Midnight Blue marred really easy. Much easier than my Audi. Coating it in CQUK made maintaince much easier.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

MK 7 Black paint is soft, MK6 was hard.

Post Thanks / Like

i work at a VW dealer and the clear is very hard. on occasion if our detailer can't get a defect or scratch out the I get put into action with my Flex.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eng18t,

Thanks for the info on your Touareg in Midnight Blue.
    I have an idea for Sealants or Coating. Even as of now there are probably at least a dozen layers of sealants I've tried out to name a few: Sonex PNS, Menzerna PL, Adams... A few months ago tried/ used a Nano Coating.

and

Zubair,

Thanks for confirming the info on the paint. I thought read or heard something about VW's paint now being different, not as hard/soft especially my MK7 GTI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    MK 7 Black paint is soft, MK6 was hard.
    Is in regards to the Black Pearl or the standard non-metallic black?

You are right, my Mk6 GTI with Deep Black Pearl is quite hard, yet mars rather easy. I'm surprised to hear they made such a big change in the paint.

I also wonder if the factory of origin has anything to do with the paint hardness? The North American market Golf's and GTI's (but not Golf R) are build in Mexico now and not Wolfsburg Germany like the Mk6.

Part of the problem could be that you're sealing the car every month. A good sealant should last six months and prevent you from having to do that much work on the car. The more you touch a black car, the more chances you have to induce swirls.

With my Deep Black GTI, I hit it with a durable LSP twice a year. After that, I wash it myself as gently by hand as possible. With this approach I've significantly knocked down the ammount of correction work that need to be done each year.

You aren't taking the car to a car wash are you?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

MK6 blacks are quite hard and removing swirls is a process typical of hard paints. All black MK7 GTi's I've done marr easily but also correct far easier than MK6's. Also MK7 black I gotta finish with finishing pads so as to finish marr free, with MK6 you can finish with a polishing pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New VW Factory Paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Is in regards to the Black Pearl or the standard non-metallic black?

You are right, my Mk6 GTI with Deep Black Pearl is quite hard, yet mars rather easy. I'm surprised to hear they made such a big change in the paint.

I also wonder if the factory of origin has anything to do with the paint hardness? The North American market Golf's and GTI's (but not Golf R) are build in Mexico now and not Wolfsburg Germany like the Mk6.

Part of the problem could be that you're sealing the car every month. A good sealant should last six months and prevent you from having to do that much work on the car. The more you touch a black car, the more chances you have to induce swirls.

With my Deep Black GTI, I hit it with a durable LSP twice a year. After that, I wash it myself as gently by hand as possible. With this approach I've significantly knocked down the ammount of correction work that need to be done each year.

You aren't taking the car to a car wash are you?

Desertnate,

Thank you for responding to my post.

Just an FYI I'm am very OCD with my cars. I never take my cars to the car wash, automatic, hand wash, or even a laser wash.

I'm the only one that washes my cars and only by hand delicately as possible and use only high quality products.

In regards to me saying I apply sealants every month I was exaggerating. What I should have said the paint is alway well protected with a sealer or coating.

Probably like you I currently have a Sealer/coating that repels everything and my mostly touch less wash setup I have makes my cars easy to maintain, keep clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked on a few newer VW's and only one in Deep Black Pearl Deep Black Pearl Golf 7 .:R - Detailed by Lawrence which was corrected using a medium cut polish.

Most though require the typical hard paint approach of a compound with (often) wool pads.

I can't say I have found the newer paints to mar any easier than the older versions, but then I am not really 'touching' the car once it has been detailed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I've worked on a few newer VW's and only one in Deep Black Pearl Deep Black Pearl Golf 7 .:R - Detailed by Lawrence which was corrected using a medium cut polish.

Most though require the typical hard paint approach of a compound with (often) wool pads.

I can't say I have found the newer paints to mar any easier than the older versions, but then I am not really 'touching' the car once it has been detailed.

Thanks lawrenceSA,

Great write up. That MK7 Golf R look fantastic after whoever made a mess off it.

Maybe the paint being hard or soft coming out of different plants as Desertnate mentioned above.