autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Coatings(Revamped)

Hey guys,

I did read through the recent thread on the TW vs. DP tire coatings. I appreciate the work that was put into that test and the comparison.

Now this has nothing to do with the person who did the test. This only my opinion, but I'm just not a big fan of turtle wax products. I used them in the past along with armor all products, and I just had too many bad experiences to even look back. This TW coating may be a solid product. It may not affect the tire long term. But I personally am not going to even think about giving them another opportunity now prove otherwise. For me, it's not worth my time.

That being said, I was hoping more people who have used DP Tire Coating could chime in. What have you're experiences been with DP Tire Coating?

I know that test on the other thread showing DP vs. TW came out with certain results over a certain amount of time.

Do you feel the DP Coating does last that long, or longer in your experience?

Thank you all, and look forward to the responses!.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Coatings(Revamped)

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    But I personally am not going to even think about giving them another opportunity now prove otherwise. For me, it's not worth my time.

That's too bad, because the TW Tire Coating is the best 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a review of DP coating on here. I'm sure you can find it. DP is a great product.

Be aware that it is recommended to use the DP tire cleaner before using it. TW doesn't have that recommendation. Is it the best one? That's all personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have one question, in case anyone who has experience does happen to chime in..
    My tires have seen A LOT of solvent based dressing (nearly every week), is the DP tire cleaner aggressive enough to remove all remaining residues to ensure proper adhesion? I just ordered 2 bottles of the coating and 1 gallon of the cleaner on the BOGO sale so maybe I'll be the first to test this... will be sure to post my results
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

The TW product for me works great. Some mention of when applying and getting on the wheel,but if wiped off right away with a moistened cloth it will be removed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the DP tire coating for about 1 year now and I can not fault it. It really does last for months. Just don't apply it to cold tires.

I have used Westley Bleeche-White prior to the DP cleaner to tackle some nasty solvent based dressings. Not because I didn't think the DP could handle it, but because I am cheap and did not want to use too much of the cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

A good strong APC should be sufficient to clean away old dressings. The key is recognising when you have got the tyre clean rather than partially clean. The trick is to keep scrubbing until the rinse water has zero tendency to bead - the water should 'stick' to the tyre. Once you have the surface hydrophillic like this, you will be ready to go with most tyre coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Be aware that it is recommended to use the DP tire cleaner before using it. TW doesn't have that recommendation.
    It actually does. "Step 1: Clean tires first with Turtle Wax® Superior Tire Cleaner, provided in the kit." The kit comes with the cleaner.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    It actually does. "Step 1: Clean tires first with Turtle Wax® Superior Tire Cleaner, provided in the kit." The kit comes with the cleaner.
    That's true given the fact that the cleaner comes with it. From personal experience the cleaner is on the weak side. I've cleaned the tires with Meguiar's D143 and then applied TW and I have had no issues. DP is a little bit more finicky when it comes to bonding to a completely clean tire. The DP tire cleaner still pulls stuff even after cleaning with Meguiar's D143.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if the TW tire cleaner is a bit underrated. I usually clean the tires with either D143 or Super Degreaser but follow up with the TW tire cleaner as a last step for OCD purposes.

Reason I say it might be underrated is because it claims to be able to remove the Endura Tire Coat. I've yet to actually try that, so I'll just have to take them at their word.

What I do know for certain is that D143 cannot remove the Endura Tire Coat, which is great because that's what I use to clean the tires of any surface dirt and reveal the tire coat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast