autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gloss coat how many CC ?

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    Does it matter how the 10cc is used, i.e. one thick coat vs. two thin coats? I've seen info elsewhere that applying it thick doesn't matter because you are just having to wipe off high spot anyway.

Ultimately I used almost the entire tube, just not in one pass.

Your post also suggests to me that a van for example should get 20cc even if a coat can be done with a 10cc tube.
    Try doing 1 thick even coat and use the block to do it.

Not sure what size van you are having in mind but you can use most of a 20cc is done properly.

Post Thanks / Like

You need 20 ccs or your not getting enough on the car imho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    Does it matter how the 10cc is used, i.e. one thick coat vs. two thin coats? I've seen info elsewhere that applying it thick doesn't matter because you are just having to wipe off high spot anyway.

Ultimately I used almost the entire tube, just not in one pass.

Your post also suggests to me that a van for example should get 20cc even if a coat can be done with a 10cc tube.
    The paint real estate on the van is only a little more than a mid sized sedan due to the amount of glass. So you should be able to do it with 12cc depending on a couple of factors

• Applicator - the foam that is included absorbs much less product than microsuede. Some feel microsuede is safer/softer. But, the key is not spreading the coating more than necessary. I like to prime the pad and place a drop of coating every few inches in a grid and then spread it out in circles. This ensures evenness without sacrificing thickness.

• Coverage - when when you discuss coverage we usually are only talking about paint on exterior. So if you intend to do wheels, door jams, etc. then you might need more than the recommended amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomas View Post
    • And place a drop of coating every few inches in a grid and then spread it out in circles. This ensures evenness without sacrificing thickness.
    There are 20 drops in one cc, so there should be approximately 200 drops on a 10cc syringe of GC. I do not think you have enough product in a 10cc syringe to use this technique on any sedan.

I thought OPT has always indicated that you should prime the applicator and then use, "a few drops per panel"

Confusing

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote the original instructions that appear on the labels, so I'm sorry to sound contradictory. Think of my recommendations as an evolution of best practices from my years of experience rather than in opposition to the basic guidelines.

Also, I just checked to see how many drops were in 5cc and it was over 300 drops using the blue dispensing tip that is included.

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote the original instructions that appear on the labels, so I'm sorry to sound contradictory. Think of my recommendations as an evolution of best practices from my years of experience rather than in opposition to the basic guidelines.

Also, I just checked to see how many drops were in 5cc and it was over 300 drops using the blue dispensing tip that is included.

Is this similar as to what you're describing?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qu3qtG3DjM

This OPT talk reminds me of a syringe of OC2.0 that needs to get on my truck.

Post Thanks / Like

The paint real estate on the van is only a little more than a mid sized sedan due to the amount of glass. So you should be able to do it with 12cc depending on a couple of factors

• Applicator - the foam that is included absorbs much less product than microsuede. Some feel microsuede is safer/softer. But, the key is not spreading the coating more than necessary. I like to prime the pad and place a drop of coating every few inches in a grid and then spread it out in circles. This ensures evenness without sacrificing thickness.

• Coverage - when when you discuss coverage we usually are only talking about paint on exterior. So if you intend to do wheels, door jams, etc. then you might need more than the recommended amount.

Thanks, I don't have a van, I was just using that as an example. I have a two door coupe. I used nearly all 10cc, but did so via two thin coats. It sounds like you guys are suggesting that I should instead lay it on thick and do 1 coat instead. Fair?

I use the included blue applicator, but cut the ends off to form a rectangle.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the best videos I saw on applying gloss coat. It works out really well.

Post Thanks / Like

For those using microsuede applicators and a block, how many applicators do you use for an entire car?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123