autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Garage Heater for MA weather

Tony
    Rockeey`s link for Mr.Heater-MH18 from Amazon has a product disclaimer that they can`t sell this unit in California or Massachusetts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Okay guys. Looking for advice regarding my home's single car garage that I've finally organized enough to do work in this winter if...I can keep it warm enough. I insulated it this summer, so I should be able to retain some heat this winter. I figured this is the best place to get practical advice.

My goal is to be able to work out there a few hours at a time either after work, or during the weekend. Can anyone offer some specific products for me to research and hopefully purchase this week? Some recommend propane, but I'm having a hard time knowing how big a unit I actually need.

All comments are welcomed. I think that winter in New England is finally coming

You are correct. Winter is finally coming to NE. 50's to 20's with snow in a single day.

Propane is about $2.50 per gal... But pricy. I'm looking at a 3 bay shop which is propane.

Is your garage attached or detached?

Sorry, don't have much else to offer this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a single burner heater from HF that mounts on a 20lb tank. It keeps my single car garage comfy by running for about 10 minutes every hour. I also have a small electric heater that looks like a oscillating fan. It does a good job maintaining the heat but won't warm it if it's cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I have a single burner heater from HF that mounts on a 20lb tank. It keeps my single car garage comfy by running for about 10 minutes every hour.
    This is what I was thinking about originally. So what kind of single burn heater? I saw some in Home Depot but did not know what size? Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    You are correct. Winter is finally coming to NE. 50's to 20's with snow in a single day.

Is your garage attached or detached?
    The garage is attached, and it is now insulated on all walls. Hoping that this helps my efforts to keep it warm and comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Tony
    Rockeey`s link for Mr.Heater-MH18 from Amazon has a product disclaimer that they can`t sell this unit in California or Massachusetts.
    Good catch. I just looked it up and found this one:
    Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F274865-Massachusetts/Canada Portable LP Heater: Automotive

Now this model makes more sense. It looks like an interesting product as long as it can keep the garage warm enough. This is where it would be great to be able to try one. I think I'd figure it out pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this post reminds me of one I read last year. The member was working on a car in his garage with some kind of heater burning for warmth. After a couple of hours he stopped for a smoke but his lighter wouldn't light. He was surprised because he had fueled it in the morning and had used it during the day. He then opened the garage door and was greeted by a rush of fresh air. The garage had become full of carbon monoxide. That was a time when smoking maybe saved his life.
    Be careful with heaters in enclosed spaces. Get a professional installer for a garage heater. Personal safety issue.

Post Thanks / Like

With the propane heaters, you need to make sure you have combustion air. The smaller the area; the tighter the envelope, the more important that becomes. I wouldn't use my propane heaters anymore without sufficient air leaks. Whether inherent in the structure or created with a slightly open door or window. Don't be lazy. Step outside every once in awhile and see if you notice much of a difference in air quality. Get a carbine monoxide detector. They don't cost that much.

As for info, the heaters that run off of the smaller propane canisters can be adapted to work off the bigger tanks. it's a small adapter that probably costs $10-15.
    There are catalytic propane heaters that heat by chemical reaction instead of combustion. You still need to allow some air in (for the reaction), but you don't have the carbon monoxide problem (The reaction creates carbon dioxide). These are becoming popular with some RV'ers. They are a little more pricey and you have to be careful not to contaminate them with dust. But they're more efficient and safe. Here's a popular one:

Amazon.com: Camco 57341 Olympian Wave-6 6000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater: Automotive

Post Thanks / Like

I've used this one for ten years here in Michigan. I can get my attached 2 1/2 car non insulated garage up to 53 degrees with temps outside above 10 degrees. I have 10' ceilings so I also put a cheap oscillating fan in the corner and point it to the ceiling on low to circulate the heat.
    DuraHeat 23,000 BTU Kerosene Portable Heater-DH2304 - The Home Depot

Edit- I also built a small dolly that the heater sits in so I can easily roll it around
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

I use this set up. Leave a window cracked, the heater will be able to maintain. Its extremely convenient to use this thermostat as well.

Dyna-Glo Delux 50,000 BTU Kerosene Forced Air Heater-KFA50DGD - The Home Depot

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Ther.../dp/B001EA5ZCI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast