autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Headliner

Post Thanks / Like

The Headliner

This forum needs in an in depth thread covering all the tricks of the trade, advice, do's and dont's, product suggestions, tools and machine suggestions for headliners.

While leather, vinyl, plastic and pleather headliners are not all that challenging, some materials are difficult to clean without spotting.
    The adhesive on many vehicles is very poor quality, and can cause the headliner to release and hang down.

So feel free to offer advice in this thread regarding headliners.
    I hope one of the many experienced detailer's here in this community will offer a complete written tutorial.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Headliner

Ill give you my secret... wait I can no longer say the name of what I use on headliners because it is not sold at AG.

Here are a couple things not to do.

Don't get the headliner real wet.
    Don't scrub very hard

Headliners are mostly very delicate. You have to take care when cleaning them.

Tools : A couple MF towels (white)
    Products: APC or better yet un-named fabric/carpet cleaner sprayed on the towel not the headliner.

Steam I would be VERY cautious about. You dont want to heat up that glue too much.
    Any major stain in a headliner I would leave alone and let the customer know how delicate they are and that you would suggest replacement.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that many of the stains and dirt on the headliner are actually just sitting on top of the fabric. I use a Kiwi shoe brush to lightly brush the headliner fabric. A lot of times the dirt will just brush off leaving no stain. When it is stained then I spritz a MF with 303 cleaner and lightly rub the spot on the headliner until its gone. I feel that 303 is a pretty safe cleaner to use in regards to the adhesive holding the fabric in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Folex works great on headliners. I also have DP APC and that would probably get the job done real nice also.

I know some guys use steam on headliners. That scares me though...

Post Thanks / Like

Guess you didnt see the post about the rules being more strictly enforced? Be careful what you post from now on man or you may face ban.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vanev View Post
    This forum needs in an in depth thread covering all the tricks of the trade, advice, do's and dont's, product suggestions, tools and machine suggestions for headliners.

While leather, vinyl, plastic and pleather headliners are not all that challenging, some materials are difficult to clean without spotting.
    The adhesive on many vehicles is very poor quality, and can cause the headliner to release and hang down.

So feel free to offer advice in this thread regarding headliners.
    I hope one of the many experienced detailer's here in this community will offer a complete written tutorial.
    Don't know about a complete written tutorial, and most posts will have different methods and products. Like most forum answers, all will be good, and a few will meet your needs. You be the judge.

For head liners (in most modern day cars, not classics) I use the Tornador Black with a 10:1 dilution of DP High Density APC. The Tornador works great because it will eviscerate the stain, but then switch to "air mode" and it will dry it without leaving a ring. As others stated, don't scrub, rather "tamp" with a mf cloth.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Paul. Been wondering a good way to clean headliners and door jambs, as I've seen you recommended on Zach's thread.

Did the black work well for cleaning water spotting issues, or do you have an alternative? Thanks!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I had to look up "eviscerate"...ewwww I guess the word sorta fits in this context but the initial meaning of it GEESH.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely be careful with the type of material it is.

If you brush some headliners to rough, you'll be able to see the trace of where you brushed because the fibers will be twisted and meshed.

Post Thanks / Like

DCJRedline:
    - Don't get real wet.
    - Don't scrub very hard.
    - MF towels.
    - Spray product on towels, not headliner material.
    - Product: APC or fabric/carpet cleaner.
    - Be cautious using steam.
    1. May loosen adhesive.
    2. Major stains, recommend to customer replacement of headliner.

DBAILY:
    - Most stains and dirt are on the surface:
    - Shoe brush to lightly brush the surface material.
    - For stains. spritz a MF towel with 303 AeroSpace cleaner and agitate until stain is gone.

7.3powerstroke:
    - Suggested brand name cleaner or DP APC.
    - Cautious about steam.

Paul_g:
    - Don't scrub, tamp with a MF cloth.
    - Tornador Black.
    1. 10:1 DP High Density APC.
    2. Switch to air mode for vacuum to avoid spotting.

Detail Groove:
    - Be careful for the material type it is.
    - Don't brush material to rough for doing so can twist fibers and leave traces of where you brushed.

Great advice guys, keep it coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast