autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.

I have always tried to keep my vehicles clean/waxed/polished since I was a kid. I used mostly OTC stuff like TW,Black Magic Eagle One/Meguiars up until about 10 years ago when I bought my first "boutique" product which was the Zaino line of products.

I heard all about 6 months or more of tight beading sitting outside all the time blah blah blah. Bought the full lineup. Clayed,polished,etc.... Wiped down with IPA, you name it,and followed the instructions to a "T" The rain here would kill the beading on the top surfaces in short order every time.
    Did it on several different vehicles also

Since then I have used products from Duragloss,Optimum,Blackfire,Ultima,Surf City etc...

Absolutely none of them has given me near the durability that others have claimed to get no matter what surface prep and application methods,or maintenance.

Today was the last straw. I had to vent. I went outside and washed my wife's car last night with Blackfire Rinseless. I had previously washed the car just last week after a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond a month or so ago. The beading was already pretty well shot when I washed last week,and last night it was pretty bad too. We have had quite a bit of rain here lately,but surely not enough to kill the BFWD already. I finished with a coat of Wet Diamond Polymer Spray on the top surfaces.

We had a round of severe weather this morning,and it rained pretty hard for about 20 minutes. Actually had some small hail.
    When the rain stopped I went out to check for hail damage.
    The beading on the top surfaces was big and blobby,and I was not pleased.

You cannot tell me that a "boutique" product cannot withstand a brief heavy downpour. It looks like it has been on there several week or months instead of barely 12 hours. I am not picking on Blackfire because I get the same results no matter with just about any product. It looks like my wife and I don't take nearly as good care of our vehicles as we do.

What do we have going on here? We never park under trees or anything like that. Do we have the most severe acid rain or what?

I debated even posting this,but today was the last straw. I am not the type who would ever go very long without waxing/polishing etc,but still. Why can't I get the performance that others claim?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.

Hi, sorry for the frustration! I used nothing but Black Fire for a very long time and had great success with it. But what your experience I can only remember happening hand full of times. I know you said you washed the recently but was it dirty when it rained? I'm rarely impressed by rain beads especially if there dirt on the car. Have you thought about trying a coating? Gloss Coat preforms very well and is easier to apply then any thing. I'm pretty sure this would get you the performance your looking for. Hope this helps!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you live?

Post Thanks / Like

To make you happy apply collinite 845 and it should give you what your looking for.There are so many variables when it comes to that promblem black fire products are great,but in short of all this typing 845 is probably the product your looking for as far as protection and beading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    To make you happy apply collinite 845 and it should give you what your looking for.There are so many variables when it comes to that promblem black fire products are great,but in short of all this typing 845 is probably the product your looking for as far as protection and beading.
    Tried that before too. Same results. 476 also.

I live in Southwest Arkansas. Not picking on Blackfire either. They're just the latest thing to fail. I have wanted to do a coating,but I would be REALLY mad if it didn't perform like it was supposed to.

Post Thanks / Like

I went out and posted some pics not long after it stopped raining. See what y'all think. I just used my wife's Iphone for some quick pictures. Car is a Liquid Red 2009 G8 GT:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7170-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7172-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7175-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7176-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7177-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7178-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7179-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7180-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7181-jpg   Throwing my hands up: Poor performance/beading/durability from everything.-img_7182-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Once again it begs the questions:

-Does beading; the size/shape of beads...determine
    the level, amount, or longevity of LSP-protection?
    -What is the definition of LSP-performance?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the real world! I have never paid a whole lot of attention to durability claims. In my experience, regardless of the LSP used (and I surely have not used them all but I've used many over the years), the initial slickness of a just "waxed" surface is very short lived. Even after a single wash the slickness is compromised. Spray waxes at each cleaning can help.

Now I agree that water-beading and/or the slickness of the finish is not necessarily the determining factor for "protection", but then again, how do you measure "protection" and how do you associate a time-frame with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Tried that before too. Same results. 476 also.

I live in Southwest Arkansas. Not picking on Blackfire either. They're just the latest thing to fail. I have wanted to do a coating,but I would be REALLY mad if it didn't perform like it was supposed to.
    When you wash car deos the beading come back ?

Post Thanks / Like

How is the sheeting?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast