autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Soaps used in excess can degrade lsp??

So I thought that if I used a pH balanced soap like DG902, it wouldn't harm the lsp? I'm talking about using it say at a stronger concentration than what the bottle says. I sometimes do this to make sure I get good lubricity, and to waste money lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soaps used in excess can degrade lsp??

citrus based soaps (or just about anyone for that matter) like cg's cw&g seem to be a little harsh on lsp's even at maintenance wash ratio. never really had that problem even at a little higher ratio with dg901/2, hyper wash, 3d pink car soap, optimum, etc,...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

If you take a quick read through this thread you'll see that it's pretty difficult if not impossible to remove a good LSP with any kind of soap. I've done my own testing with some very strong mixes of citrus based soaps and they don't even begin to remove a sealant based LSP. So I doubt a strong mix of 902 will have any detrimental effect on your LSP.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...stripping.html

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on which category they fall within...
    LSPs, themselves, will have varying levels of
    strengths to assist in warding-off the degrading
    affects often attributed to varying dilution ratios
    of car-wash shampoos.

In this respect:
    -Sealants are considered stronger than Waxes.
    -Coatings are considered stronger than Sealants.

-And: "AJAX is stronger than dirt!"
    (OOOPS! Got carried away to another time.)

Note:
    Don't forget about what Mike Phillips says
    about what can happen each time you
    "touch your vehicle".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

I'd say micro-abrasion is a greater factor than the soap being used but both are factors.

Micro-abrasion is when you move the wash media over the surface .

Put things in extremes...

Does rubbing a wash mitt over a waxed surface add more wax to the surface?

The answer is "no". Now put things in extremes. What is the opposite of the word add?

Also, on this forum and in my how-to book and on our Roku Channel I share the two methods of washing a car.

1. The aggressive method
    2. The gentle method

If you're trying to preserve a coating of wax you should be using the gentle method and NOT scrubbing your paint when you rub a wash mitt over it.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like the chemical guys snow foam I use kills Meg's ultimate liquid wax pretty quick if I use it heavily. I can't remember the name, but it isn't mister pink

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought that relying on lack of beading to confirm the stripping an LSP with a shampoo to be somewhat of a guess at best... here are my thoughts...

Shampoos often contain surfactants...

sur·fac·tant
    sərˈfaktənt
    noun
    a substance that tends to reduce the surface tension of a liquid in which it is dissolved.
    ... therefore a heavy concentration of shampoo will certainly lower the surface tension to the point where beading and sheeting is diminished, but how can you really tell an LSP has been removed? As far as I know, there is no way to tell (aside from lab testing, of course).

This is the root of the discussion "does beading indicate surface protection"... to which the answer is most certainly no. Water beading only indicates high surface tension, but does not directly reflect upon protective properties of a substance applied on top of the paint.

Retired Professional Detailer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post

This is the root of the discussion "does beading indicate surface protection"... to which the answer is most certainly no.

Water beading only indicates high surface tension, but does not directly reflect upon protective properties of a substance applied on top of the paint.
    Exactly. You can apply ordinary table margarine onto your cars paint and it will bead water very well but it won't last and I doubt it will protect.

Doing a quick search on MOL using the terms surface tension here's something I wrote in 2006, just about 10 years ago that still makes sense today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Water beading is sign of surface tension and with time and washing as well as exposure to the elements surface tension diminishes and water beading falls off. This happens to all waxes and is not an accurate indicator of wax left on the surface or protection left on the surface.

Instead of using water beading as an indicator, think of waxing your car like you do changing your oil.

Most people change their oil every 3000 miles for preventative maintenance for the internal components of the engine to insure the engine lasts a long time.

Most people understand that if they don't get to the oil change till 3300 miles or even 4000 miles the engine isn't going to fall apart or seize-up; the 3000 mile mark is just a measure or mark as an insurance policy, thus the term preventative maintenance.

Maintaining your car's finish, if it's a daily driver is kind of the same thing, you don't want to wait till the clear coat is flaking off to clean, polish and wax. A better idea is to wash and wax periodically, with claying, cleaning and polishing as needed or wanted.

This is why Barry Meguiar's has always been a proponent for teaching people about putting their car on a regular maintenance program. By doing this, your car always looks good and you can rest assured the finish is always protected.

That said...

If a wax/sealant/coating doesn't bead water it's always going to be perceived that the product doesn't protect and/or protect for a long time.

Plus... everyone thinks water beading on a car's paint looks cool! (including me)

Post Thanks / Like

Great analogy with the oil change! I'll certainly refer to that with potential customers.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast