autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher choices? New guy. Rupes Mini?

Wow. Thanks for all the advice! The GG6 seems to be widely recommended for new guys. What concerns me about that one is the noise and vibration. I've been thinking about the PC as it's also recommended to new guys. I guess my thinking was that that smoothness of the Rupes would outweigh the extra time spent because it was so small. If it's simply a matter of speed, that doesn't bother me. I've long been applying waxes and sealants by hand with a yellow Meguires foam pad and the time spent has never been a problem. In fact, I fold the pad in half because there are so many small areas on my Tacoma- over fenders, edges, the rear quarter panels, on the doors/pillars and all along the bed rails. To be honest, if I was using a 6" I think I'd still be doing 30% of the truck by hand. That's what got me thinking about a smaller polisher. Clearly, my idea might not be a good one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    You can pick the GG6 up for about $110 from Advance Auto with an online $40 off coupon--can't beat it for torque and it has a lifetime warranty.

But, you did mention that price wasn't of too much concern and that you were interested in something quieter and smoother--why not consider something like the Griots Boss G15 that uses 5.5" pads and is very vibration free and smooth--also has a lifetime warranty. Of course then you still need something for the tight spaces so you could pick up a Harbor Freight random orbital for under $50 with an online coupon and equip it with a 3" or 3.5" backing plate for the tight spots. It won't be smooth like the G15, but you won't have to use it too much as the G15 does a great job of getting into most spaces.
    Is there any disadvantage to a long throw like the G15?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Is there any disadvantage to a long throw like the G15?
    The G15 is a great polisher, the 15mm ones aren't as bad at the 21mm machines but they still tend to eat pads faster than an 8mm machine. With just doing your personal vehicles this should not be an issue though. If you're going to be doing actual correction rather than just applying wax I would definitely go with a long throw machine. Or even the Flex 3401. Didn't realize price was not an issue, that changes things haha.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    The G15 is a great polisher, the 15mm ones aren't as bad at the 21mm machines but they still tend to eat pads faster than an 8mm machine. With just doing your personal vehicles this should not be an issue though. If you're going to be doing actual correction rather than just applying wax I would definitely go with a long throw machine. Or even the Flex 3401. Didn't realize price was not an issue, that changes things haha.
    I'm really only doing correction the first time I use it. After that, I'll probably just polish a couple times a year if needed and apply waxes/sealants monthly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I'm really only doing correction the first time I use it. After that, I'll probably just polish a couple times a year if needed and apply waxes/sealants monthly.
    Any of the polishers recommended in this thread will work great for that. I guess the only determining factor is... Are you the guy who has to have the best of everything? Or do you just want the tool to get the job done? Because if the later is true I'd suggest the Porter Cable kit on sale right now.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Or get a Rupes Duetto and a Kamikaze 3" BP for the small areas. A bit more expensive but a very good machine.

Post Thanks / Like

How much of a vehicle would I be unable to reach with a PC due to its being too large? 5% 10% 20% ??

My thinking was that I could reach more areas with the mini (so I don't need two polishers). If it takes me 2 hours to spread wax instead of 1, not a big deal. Or 5 hours instead of 3 to polish. Still not a big deal if the tool is more functional to me.

Is the only downside of the mini the issue of time? Or is it simply not meant to be used an entire vehicle? Or will it not work well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Or get a Rupes Duetto and a Kamikaze 3" BP for the small areas. A bit more expensive but a very good machine.
    Would there be a big difference as far as "enjoying the process" when comparing these DA's? Comfort, noise, etc. I'm not a guy that has to have the best just for the sake of having the best. But i do like quality stuff. And this is a hobby that I really enjoy and I know with certainty that I'll be using this tool for many years to come. I'd rather pay $300 now and have a quality piece of equipment, as opposed to $125 now and $300 again later. So to answer the previous post- no I really don't want a tool to "just get the job done".

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know they made a 3" plate for the duetto. Since you can I would have to say that would be your best bet considering what your priorities are. I don't think there is a lot of size difference between the duetto and the mini. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I didn't know they made a 3" plate for the duetto. Since you can I would have to say that would be your best bet considering what your priorities are. I don't think there is a lot of size difference between the duetto and the mini. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    That plate is $100.00!!!! And it's aluminum. Not very forgiving if you whack it up against paint or metal.

I have the Duetto and the Mini. There is a big difference in the shroud size between these two machines.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast