autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GG6 & LC thinpro pads, So this happened..?!?!

I received my GG6, LC 5.5" backing plate, HD speed, and LC thinpro pads a couple days ago and got to use it today! First time ever touching a polisher so I started with an orange pad and set the machine to 4.
    I did about half of the truck and never thought to change the pad seemed like it was not thickened up with Polish or anything and then I decided to change pads and when I went to pull it off the middle was completely melted out of it? Is this my fault a faulty pad did I run the machine to long? Are you supposed to stop and let the machine rest ever so often? Didn't seem like it was getting hot or anything! And how much correction can I expect from a product like speed? My truck is shiny as ever as seen in the truck selfie and a lot of small scratches are gone but some still exist.

GG6 & LC thinpro pads, So this happened..?!?!-imageuploadedbyagonline1450040646-069516-jpgGG6 & LC thinpro pads, So this happened..?!?!-imageuploadedbyagonline1450040617-242807-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG6 & LC thinpro pads, So this happened..?!?!-imageuploadedbyagonline1450039917-762336-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG6 & LC thinpro pads, So this happened..?!?!

Wow that's some carnage lol. You should be changing pads often. Clean and rotate the pads if you only have a few on hand.
    -Adrian

Post Thanks / Like

I got 6 pads and 2 backing plates, Is there any house hold items I can use to clean the pads as well? I didn't purchase any pad cleaner products.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that would be user error. I've done that to a few of mine learning. Now I rotate between two or three for larger areas like big hoods and brush them clean more often. Using to much product, or adding more and more polish and keeping the pad in play will cause it to hold more heat.

You can't expect too much correction from an AIO. They are designed to give some correction but they can't have too much cut or they will not finish out well which would defeat the purpose.

I'm not sure how hard speed is to remove from pads, but I usually just use hot water and dawn dish soap. Works for me Optimum Poli-Seal and Wolfgang Uber AIO, although Uber takes more work to remove. Also, the sooner you clean them, usually the easier it is for some AIOs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy View Post
    I got 6 pads and 2 backing plates, Is there any house hold items I can use to clean the pads as well? I didn't purchase any pad cleaner products.
    To clean HD Speed out of the pads you'll need to use some sort of degreaser. The POXY in it is pretty tough.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    To clean HD Speed out of the pads you'll need to use some sort of degreaser. The POXY in it is pretty tough.

Could I just use like meg super degreaser and hot water in the sink?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy View Post
    Could I just use like meg super degreaser and hot water in the sink?
    That would be perfect, make sure to wear gloves though.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Multiple pads. You used 1 pad for half of a Silverado, that's not good. If you are cleaning on the fly (look up the video tutorials) then you should be using at minimum 4 pads, Silverado is a big truck.
    When life hands you melons, you might have dyslexia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Yeah, that would be user error. I've done that to a few of mine learning. Now I rotate between two or three for larger areas like big hoods and brush them clean more often. Using to much product, or adding more and more polish and keeping the pad in play will cause it to hold more heat.

You can't expect too much correction from an AIO. They are designed to give some correction but they can't have too much cut or they will not finish out well which would defeat the purpose.

I'm not sure how hard speed is to remove from pads, but I usually just use hot water and dawn dish soap. Works for me Optimum Poli-Seal and Wolfgang Uber AIO, although Uber takes more work to remove. Also, the sooner you clean them, usually the easier it is for some AIOs.

I figured it was my fault thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be investing in a pad brush asap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DapperStyle View Post
    Multiple pads. You used 1 pad for half of a Silverado, that's not good. If you are cleaning on the fly (look up the video tutorials) then you should be using at minimum 4 pads, Silverado is a big truck.

I actually ordered 6 pads to use on it with every intention of changing every section but it just seemed like the pad was still doing fine so I just kept on trucking, is there anyway to tell when the pad needs changed or do you just do it because you know you should ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast