autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat respray

Long story short, a local Nissan dealership body shop burnt through my clear coat when attempting to repair a misaligned hood that had caused my paint to wear off between the hood and driver's side fender. After doing some paint touch up, the shop wet sanded the edge of the hood and fender and then used a rotary to finish the the job.

In doing so, they burnt through my clear coat near the edge of my hood as well as on the top of the fender, about the size of a silver dollar.

Now this original repair was completed under warranty since the truck is brand new.

I brought the truck back after discovering the damage and they are going to have to re-spray the clear on the front quarter panel and entire hood, after adding some color to the burnt through areas. Btw, the truck is black.

I am pretty ticked off at this point.

How durable will this respray be in the long run? I also told them that I want the dang orange peel to be matched to the rest of the vehicle. Is this possible?

I further requested that all bolts that are touched to remove the panels be touched-up with paint as well. Doubt they will do that.

So, to any paint experts out there, will this repair just look like garbage? Especially on a black vehicle?

I did ask if they could swap the panels from another black truck on the lot, and they refused. I am just really ticked off that they caused this damage and now I have to have a respray on a truck with 800 miles on it.

I just don't want to run into any future issues with this repair. I am going to inspect this repair attempt under my detail lights at home once I get the truck back. It is scheduled to go in for this respray Jan 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat respray

Also, is there anything I should specifically ask them to do to ensure a proper job is done? I have no problem taking the truck back as many times as needed to have it done properly. I am not going to settle for any hack job.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame. If they have a quality paint shop it should be fine and yes they can definitely match the orange peel. It's always better to retain a factory finish. When spraying at the factory the vehicle is a controlled environment free of any contaminants. Things can happen in a body shop with panels sprayed by humans but 99% of the time it should be fine. Does their paint have a lifetime guarantee? Do you know what kind of product they are using such as PPG, Axalta or Sickens?

Post Thanks / Like

That stinks. I feel for you. If the paint is just black, no metallic, panel painting will be no problem. As far as matching orange peel, that just depends on the skills of the guy painting your car. Long term durability....I would want PPG if the oem paint is PPG. I'd want Dupont if the OEM paint is Dupont, etc, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7PaintGuns View Post
    That's a shame. If they have a quality paint shop it should be fine and yes they can definitely match the orange peel. It's always better to retain a factory finish. When spraying at the factory the vehicle is a controlled environment free of any contaminants. Things can happen in a body shop with panels sprayed by humans but 99% of the time it should be fine. Does their paint have a lifetime guarantee? Do you know what kind of product they are using such as PPG, Axalta or Sickens?
    Yes, they said they would have a lifetime guarantee on the paint. I will have to find out what brand they use. I'll give them a call on Monday to find out.

Yeah, I am pretty ticked off. Plus they have been pretty smug and rude when I pointed out the damage. I really feel like they should swap the panels being that THEY caused the damage to begin with! The collision shop manager told me that the job won't look factory when completed. This was not something that instilled great confidence in me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    That stinks. I feel for you. If the paint is just black, no metallic, panel painting will be no problem. As far as matching orange peel, that just depends on the skills of the guy painting your car. Long term durability....I would want PPG if the oem paint is PPG. I'd want Dupont if the OEM paint is Dupont, etc, etc.
    Thankfully, the paint is NOT a metallic. It is what Nissan calls "Super Black."

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think about it, I may make a call to Nissan customer relations and see what can be done about swapping panels, rather than a respray job.....Or at least some sort of compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ugafiredawg View Post
    Come to think about it, I may make a call to Nissan customer relations and see what can be done about swapping panels, rather than a respray job.....Or at least some sort of compensation.
    If you want the panels swapped, just ask for a new truck. No I'm not saying that to be a jerk. I do not want to come off that way, but that's exactly what I would tell the dealership. I paid for new truck, it wasn't right, I asked you to fix it, you made it worse. I want something else. With only 800 miles on the truck this is something they should entertain. You bought a new truck for a reason. If it were my truck I wouldn't really care but I paint cars for a living and would be confident with my repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7PaintGuns View Post
    If you want the panels swapped, just ask for a new truck. No I'm not saying that to be a jerk. I do not want to come off that way, but that's exactly what I would tell the dealership. I paid for new truck, it wasn't right, I asked you to fix it, you made it worse. I want something else. With only 800 miles on the truck this is something they should entertain. You bought a new truck for a reason. If it were my truck I wouldn't really care but I paint cars for a living and would be confident with my repair.
    Funny that you mention this. Believe it or not, this truck is actually a replacement for a previous Frontier I had that had major paint defects from the factory. After A LOT of back and forth with Nissan corporate, and a visit by a Nissan "field engineer" it was determined that the truck had contaminates on it when painted resulting in solvent pops throughout the entire vehicle. I refused an entire truck repaint at the time and Nissan finally agreed to buyback the truck and put me into a new one.

Well, all seemed well and resolved until I noticed the hood was misaligned on the new replacement truck...and thus began the journey to where I am now. I believe this is why the dealership has had an attitude with me concerning this issue....

So I doubt I have a any chance of a second replacement vehicle. All I know is that Inwill never purchase a Nissan product again due to their lack of quality control and customer service...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ugafiredawg View Post
    All I know is that Inwill never purchase a Nissan product again due to their lack of quality control and customer service...
    That's what I'd come away with...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast