autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats your technique for removing caked dirt on exterior cracks and crevices?

I'm starting this thread to see other ways you can do this as safe as possible. I been using my steam cleaner and it works well but very time consuming. If you got any techniques you use please feel free to share. I'm looking do ways to speed up the process of my details. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats your technique for removing caked dirt on exterior cracks and crevices?

Everyone as there preference on tools and techniques,I would do without it and just clean everything quick the old fashion way elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats your technique for removing caked dirt on exterior cracks and crevices?

I've found that using 'pad conditioner' and Q-Tips work pretty well.

Takes time and patience, but it 'works for me'.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually sneak in with a soft bristle toothbrush.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Not too long ago, out of the blue I decided to bust out my dusty bottle of Carpro Spotless and a brush to see if it worked on caked up deposits around trim and mouldings and sure enough it worked great! I applied it and allowed to dwell for a few mins, then agitated with a brush for a few mins while adding more as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

i recently did a white BMW 325I that had build up around the door mouldings. i used a MF towel and some cleaner wax.
    applied cleaner wax to towel, rubbed in towel, folded towel and used the fold to get in the cracks.

took maybe 15-20 minutes to do top and bottom of mouldings, around the entire car.

another time i used 3D HD touch, on a towel the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this sounds like a harsh way to do it but this has worked for me. I detail several pickup trucks which tend to get much dirtier do to their nature and the larger tires the owners have on them and one owner lives down a dirt road but still likes his truck to be cleaned and taken care of regularly. I use a pressure washer and rinse the vehicle entirely and focus on wheel wells and the lower parts of the vehicle. I have a sediment filter equipped on the spigot I run the pressure washer to prevent any sediments from being blasted onto the vehicle. I then use a regular hose a two bucket method to wash the vehicle. Once I'm done a dry them down I use a slim soft bristled brush and IF I happen to see something in a door gap or in between a fender molding and the body and hit it with some quick detail spay and the brush and then wipe it dry and continue drying the vehicle. If I use the pressure washer I may only find 1-2 spots that need the brush and QD treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of steamer do you use? I live by my steamer and a toothbrush, it blasts away basically anything in any crevice extremely quick.
    Fortune Favors The Bold

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My method is not safe but it is quick. I spray degreaser and then use the pressure washer.

We get several vehicles in a week and some are very, very dirty. I spray degreaser on the engine, tires, inside door jams, the edges of the trunk, and around the gas tank cap. Then I close the doors and pressure wash everything, closing the doors first. I then open up the doors and pressure wash the jams and all around the door. You can get pretty good at directing the water away from the interior. But, if the interior gets wet, it is an easy wipe down. I'll clean the interior soon after anyways.

The degreaser/pressure wash takes me less than 10 minutes. I'm amazed how well and fast this works.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats your technique for removing caked dirt on exterior cracks and crevices?

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    Not too long ago, out of the blue I decided to bust out my dusty bottle of Carpro Spotless and a brush to see if it worked on caked up deposits around trim and mouldings and sure enough it worked great! I applied it and allowed to dwell for a few mins, then agitated with a brush for a few mins while adding more as needed.

Thanks buddy, yes I do know that hydrogen fluoride based acid cleaners (waterspot removers) work really well but I was wondering if there were other ways. Around caked on emblems like this it's almost a necessity.

I know you know what I used but since it's not sold on AG I'll not say it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast