autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs 4inch backing plate system carnage

I just used mine for a bout 4 hours straight. Half that time a speed 6. Install was via Mike's instructions in the Flex book. No problems so far...

Post Thanks / Like

OK, time to jog the collective memory. I don't know why they haven't ever included written instructions with the Lake Country Changeable Backing plate system, but rather just discontinued the 6" plate. (Not sure that it is still a "system", but OK)

When these first came out, we were instructed to always use the washer and bolt that came included. The bolt was a slightly different length than the stock one. Verbally, we were told to use the shims only on the 6" back plate. They had been manufactured incorrectly, and the plastic didn't reach all the way to the bottom of the mount. As a result, tightening the bolt put stress on the plastic, and as it heated up, it could easily crack.

The washers were not to be used on the 4" plate.

I've had my kit for about 2.5 years, and haven't had any issues.

Now that the 6" plate isn't part of the kit, are they still including the extra shims?

Best regards,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Dear friend, sorry to hear about what happened to you.

Short story,

This never happened to the vast majority of people who owns it, but this issue already happened with more than enough people to be considered towards a 'minor design flaw' than an user error issue. It happened to me ~an year or more ago / plate was replaced and no more problems at all.

Fact is, you can now glue your plates together (like I did mine) and have a dedicated 4" backing plate.

First, fix the exact part where the fail occurred. Then, use some epoxy and join both parts of the kit together the best you can. Lastly, insert and glue the washer and make like an 'internal reinforcement' with epoxy resin - You sure have to leave exact whole for the bolt to pass freely in order to lock it to the tool.

Glueing a lot of parts will help to lessen the stress over central spindle so you can also sand internal plastics making it rough for better adhesion.

If you need pictures, ask me on Monday I may upload them from studio to you.

When using, you place it at the tool as a single part, and insert the bolt tight. Mine now is 100% trustable.

The second one (factory replaced) started to fail but haven't failed at all.

Since my first one broke, I was now aware while using the second and observed it weekly, while I could notice the plastic was starting to look dry and presenting micro-ruptures at the exact same point which was an alert to what was about to happen plus the bottom.

Before it break again I decided to glue it like the first one, and it's going strong daily, with what can be called 'extreme' use. Both are.

To @Lake Country / @Flex , this is a chance to hear customers needs and do your best (we all know you do!) to improve those systems to endusers needs.

We need (not to say urge) a 'Factory Standard Dedicated 4" Backing Plate' like the 4 3/8" and why not 4 3/8' velcro Hybrid Pads. (!)

But you did something wrong to break it, no? So what? Cannot blame you for that.

That's my point.

Please, forgive any misunderstood on my language written (I'm brazilian), there can be a place for mistakes when writing / reading on a forum, read my words with a huge smile and only my best wishes put into words.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kosmetikwerks View Post
    When do fairly heavy correction I usually run on speed 6 especially on the parts of the cars that take a few years of winter snow brush abuse up here in Canada. I tackle hood, upper fenders and for this case had to hit the hatch under the wiper with a little more jam also to correct the damage. I corrected the lower portion of the vehicle which was less correction to be done on speed 5.
    Maybe you should use a rotary to do that, and then refinishing with the 3401 on 4 or 5. My humble opinion, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post
    Maybe you should use a rotary to do that, and then refinishing with the 3401 on 4 or 5. My humble opinion, of course.
    I usually grab my rotary when I need heavy correction and refine with either rupes or flex3401. In this case after doing initial test spots the 3401 combined with orange hybrid pad corrected very well. Grabbing for the rotary was not needed for this correction. Here is an example of what I would typically use rotary for:

After multi-step correction this is how it turned out(picture was taken before LSP. Please excuse picture quality it was snapped via cell phone.

Craig Embro
    KosmetikWerks Pro Detail

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456