autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs 4inch backing plate system carnage

I have to admit I've never understood the need for the "system".

I have the original backing plate for my Flex (of course) and the 4 3/8 plate. I literally just change out plates as needed. There's only one piece- the backing plate.

I use the original bolt and washer with both. Works perfectly.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    I have to admit I've never understood the need for the "system".

I have the original backing plate for my Flex (of course) and the 4 3/8 plate. I literally just change out plates as needed. There's only one piece- the backing plate.
    I may not be remembering this right, but I think the LC system came out before Flex came out with the smaller plate. There was also briefly an Edge adapter for the Flex, of course that was back when there were Edge pads.

(EDIT: This is wrong, the small Flex plate came out 10 months before the LC system; see below)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I may not be remembering this right, but I think the LC system came out before Flex came out with the smaller plate. There was also briefly an Edge adapter for the Flex, of course that was back when there were Edge pads.
    Well that would make sense then.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Well that would make sense then.
    Except I'm wrong:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ex-xc3401.html

The System That Flex XC3401 Users Have Been Waiting For, by Lake Country

The LC system came out later but the attraction was the ability to use 4" pads, where the Flex small plate wasn't that small. This could all be solved by Flex coming out with a smaller version of the 3401

Post Thanks / Like

This could all be solved by Flex coming out with a smaller version of the 3401
    Jeeze, how much is that gonna cost me. How many buffers do we need. How about a metal BP direct from FLEX?

Post Thanks / Like

This could all be solved by Flex coming out with a smaller version of the 3401
    I've been dying for that as well.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Honestly there is no need to run speed 6 to correct the entire vehicle. Maybe just maybe, for spot repair but nothing more than speed five for the vehicle.

I'm still on the original release LC backing plate system with single washer for both plates and have had no issue. Same goes for the Hybrid pads. Still original release pads from '11.
    Me too... although my machine gets a LOT less use than yours does Mike.

Still can't figure the need for wide open on the 3401. Considering the pad never stops, EVER... and we should using the least aggressive approach... which can actually be 3.5 or 4, (especially with the smaller pads). Not saying you CAN'T run it faster from time to time. just that you really don't need to.

I'd rather just run it slow, move the arms slow, keep the pressure constant... and take the time to let the pad do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by 7PaintGuns View Post
    Jeeze, how much is that gonna cost me. How many buffers do we need. How about a metal BP direct from FLEX?
    How many buffers do we need? Heeeeeheheheeeeheeee haaaaaaa haaaaaa yeah.... about that. I know I tell CarMomma I *need* many more than I use on every thing I touch.

Haaaaaaaaaa.... a metal BP?!?! Wowzaaa!!!! Considering how much heat the 3401 builds up (and holds) in the metal shroud already.... I can't begin to imagine what a metal backing plate would end up doing. (The new Flex actually has a redesigned shroud, plastic, with vents... stating they wanted something that'd run cooler.)

I'm betting Velcro failure, as well as a lot of pad melting would come into play in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Me too...

Haaaaaaaaaa.... a metal BP?!?! Wowzaaa!!!! Considering how much heat the 3401 builds up (and holds) in the metal shroud already.... I can't begin to imagine what a metal backing plate would end up doing. (The new Flex actually has a redesigned shroud, plastic, with vents... stating they wanted something that'd run cooler.)

I'm betting Velcro failure, as well as a lot of pad melting would come into play in a hurry.
    I was thinking of somthing along the lines of a Hutchinson or 3M style BP. Don't make fun of us stupid painters! We're painters for a reason!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Me too... although my machine gets a LOT less use than yours does Mike.

Still can't figure the need for wide open on the 3401. Considering the pad never stops, EVER... and we should using the least aggressive approach... which can actually be 3.5 or 4, (especially with the smaller pads). Not saying you CAN'T run it faster from time to time. just that you really don't need to.

I'd rather just run it slow, move the arms slow, keep the pressure constant... and take the time to let the pad do the work.
    I to do corrections daily. Not typically exotics on a daily basis but no shortage of Audi, BMW, infinity, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo to name a few brands lol. For this vehicle after doing initial test spots I figured I could get away with orange hybrid with moderate pressure on higher speed to take care of the spots damaged by snow brush(wish I took before pics) I could have easily bumped up to a LC MF pad to correct on lower speeds. However rest of the vehicle didn't need that. So places I needed more aggressive defect removal I bumped up the speed (hood, tops of fenders, doors right above the handles and the hatch below the rear wiper) when I cut I try and keep as uniform as possible(same pad, product) for this vehicle I used mainly speed 5 to correct with slow overlapping passes however deeper defects as mentioned above hit them one pass on speed 6 rather than multiple passes on lower speed. Here's how she turned out!

To finish the Audi I changed back over to the stock BP and continued with the larger hybrid pads orange then white to finish. My local supplier came by and took the kit back and is replacing free of charge. I gonna give it another try.
    Craig Embro
    KosmetikWerks Pro Detail

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad about those 4" backing plates. What's more unfortunate is you can only use the LC hybrid 5" pads on the LC 4" backing plate and not on the factory 4 3/8" backing plate. Guess I wont be using those 5" pads.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast