autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing vinyl stripes, new car

So still waiting for my car to arrive. Long story but I have two cars coming from two different dealerships. One car has a stripe. Single stripe about 10-12 inches wide. I'm assuming being a brand new car it would be fairly easy easy to remove. Has anyone removed stripes from a new car?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing vinyl stripes, new car

3M decal removing wheel on a drill will knock it out. 30 bucks on Amazon

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

Single stripe about 10-12 inches wide.

I'm assuming being a brand new car it would be fairly easy easy to remove.

Has anyone removed stripes from a new car?
    Not a new car but we removed the vinyl graphics on a car that sat out in Florida sun for over 5 years.

We used a heat gun but you can easily get away by using a good hair blow dryer.

FULL write-up here....

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

For anyone that's never removed old, dried-out, cracked and baked-on vinyl graphics, I have enough pictures to make a pretty good how-to article. For now here's a few pictures to give you an idea. It took about 2 hours to remove all the vinyl graphics and then rub and scrub all the adhesive left behind off the paint AND do it in a way that did not harm the original paint.

Re-applying all of the new vinyl graphics took at around 3 hours...

We didn't just buff this car out, we first removed all the graphics, then buffing it out, polished it and sealed it with a synthetic paint sealant and then applied all of the new graphics... just another furn project on AutogeekOnline.net!

Here's one picture, hang tight for a few more...

Jay heating the vinyl graphics up using a simple Conair Hair Blow Dryer...

Here's Ken and I using a Heat Gun, when using a Heat Gun instead of a hair dryer you really need to be careful that you don't get the paint itself too hot...

New graphics going on... this was hours later after we meticulously buffed the hood to remove most of the Ghosting and all of the adhesive residue...

Here you can see that we removed the rear spoiler in order to apply the racing stripes to the deck lid...

After putting he racing stripes on the spoiler we're not re-attaching it...

One thing for sure, everyone has a lot of fun during these types of cool projects, makes new friends and gets the chance to use new tools, pads and yes... products like Meguiar's M101 Foam Cut Compound...

Carefull.... easy does it....

Jay installing all the lettering...

Windshield graphics going on....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    3M decal removing wheel on a drill will knock it out. 30 bucks on Amazon
    Don't even think about that tool,you will burn through that paint so quick faster than you can say your first name.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not talking pinstripes here.get the car feel the edge pick at it gently and you will see if it's gonna be easy or a pita.If you can't live with stripe turn car on let it run so the heat will generate from underneath,with a heat gun slowly remove in one piece if your that lucky.If not it will be a time consuming project there is no other alternative good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Don't even think about that tool,you will burn through that paint so quick faster than you can say your first name.
    Have you used this tool before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

I have been using this for years and never had an issue. Need to use common sense and keep it moving on the surface. Very safe method IMO

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    Have you used this tool before?
    Yes sir very risky,it's good for dried up pinstripe that's barely adhering to the paint.I know plenty of guys use that tool with no success on graphic stripes it will spin and bunch up the stripe itself and the glue making it more difficult.I had my fair share of removing graphics lettering and stripes and rv graphics.just do what mike p says .just be patient if you get aggravated just take a break.It should be easy to remove being that the stripe is not dry rotted and you will be lucky enough to pull off in one piece.Then deal with any remaining glue,i find that if you run the engine the whole stripe will be warm from the heat under the hood enabling the stripe to peel right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    I have been using this for years and never had an issue. Need to use common sense and keep it moving on the surface. Very safe method IMO

Mike
    Not intended for large stripes,it's somewhat good for pinstripes.its a rubber wheel one little mishap and forget it .Why would you recommend a tool that he may never had experience with.even the body shop guys who I know that fixes trainwrecks burns through the paint.if it works for you that's good but every situation of levels of difficulty removing stripes vary.so play it safe and remove it the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a very unorthodox way of removing those stripes and nobody knows.But I won't post it for him so he can crash and burn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast