autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best 3" pad/backing plate combo?

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade polishers soon and make my current HFDA my secondary tool with smaller backing plate/pads. Looking for advice on which backing plate and pads work best.

So far I'm thinking about Megs DPB3 3" DA backing plate, [is that 1 solid? Or is there a better choice?] but not sure which foam pads are best. I'm looking for pads [cutting/polishing] that work ideal with SMAT compounds/polishes.

Looking forward to hearing your advice. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best 3" pad/backing plate combo?

Lake Country makes a 3" DA backplate. As for pads, you will get as many opinions as there are pads. If you have a type of pads you like in larger sizes, just get the 3" versions of those. If you don't, then the good thing is that 3" pads are pretty cheap, so buy a variety and see what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Are both the Megs and Lake County backing plates a true 3" in diameter? Reason I ask is because I notice Megs sells 4" foam pads which I'm not really liking the thought of.. I'm hoping to get pads that are no larger than 3" and if there's a backing plate that's a shade smaller than 3" that would be a plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Are both the Megs and Lake County backing plates a true 3" in diameter? Reason I ask is because I notice Megs sells 4" foam pads which I'm not really liking the thought of.. I'm hoping to get pads that are no larger than 3" and if there's a backing plate that's a shade smaller than 3" that would be a plus.
    the 3" plates work perfectly with 3" pads. they are technically 2 7/8".
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lake Country and Meguiar's backing plates are 3" or as stated in the previous post. Both will work fine.

I have the Lake Country backing plate with Lake Country HydroTech foam pads. They fit the backing plate just fine. The are 3" all the way from the velcro material to the end of the foam pad. These work fine with Meguiar's compounds and polishes. I had two Hydro Tech foam pads start to lose the glue between the velcro and the foam pad. The newest batch I have seem to be fine so far.

The Meguiar's foam pads are the DAPS pads. 3" backing plate material but the bevel out to 4".

You should convert it to a 3" and 4" dedicated machine. I have my PC set up this way.

Here are the one's I am using

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 3 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech buffing pads, polishing pads, spot buffs

3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate, da backing plate, random orbital backing plate

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up going with the LC 3" backing plate and a pair of 3" LC Orange Flat Foam pads. I thought about the Hydro Pads you suggested, but I went with the flat pads because they seemed to have more cushion on the pad which I'm hoping turns out for the better. Plus I've had good experiences with the 5" Orange pad.

I'm excited to finally have the option to switch backing plates and properly address small areas such as door pillars and such. Great deal on the price too

Post Thanks / Like

No polishing pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Best 3" pad/backing plate combo?

I've got my polishing pad right here. Just add a lil elbow grease. Lol.

Best 3" pad/backing plate combo?-imageuploadedbyagonline1447601054-224104-jpg

But those Orange pads usually finish up pretty darn good on their own, so I figure I shouldn't have a problem on small areas such as a little pillar.. Getting them, along with sideview mirrors swirl free is the main chore.

Not too long ago I taped up along the roof of the new Kia in order to apply some TW Trim Coating to the 2 thin strips of plastic that run the length of the roof.. Well it got late, and I got caught up with something else and forgot to come back and remove the masking tape. About 3 days later my mom calls and asks me what's the idea behind that ugly tapejob I've got going on her Kia. I was like "you've left it on there this whole time"?! Oh man. Lol.

M205 and that microfiber applicator worked perfect to clean up that small mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Always working the hard way lol.

Post Thanks / Like

This little backing plate & pads are pretty sweet. This pillar never had gloss until now

Best 3" pad/backing plate combo?-imageuploadedbyagonline1448665713-756840-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast