autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Crystal Coat problems...

It's been a long day...
    I finished washing, decontaminating, and polishing my new WRX today. I figured I would knock out the coating tonight., but I was wrong.

I hit it with the BF Paint Prep, and started applying the BFCC with a LC wedge applicator. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I can't get the BFCC to level for the life of me. The bottle says wait 1 minute for it to flash after you apply it. That didn't work. I tried other areas and varied the thickness and wait time, but it just doesn't wipe off. It's like smearing super glue across the paint. I don't know what to do differently.

I had to use an excessive amount of pressure and oscillation to finally remove it from the hood...I'm exhausted. After spending 2 hours on the hood, small section of the roof, and A-pillar, I'm over it. If the current condition of the coating is any indication of what it will look like when it cures, the results won't be good. It's uneven, streaky, and hazy.

What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Crystal Coat problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesteel View Post
    It's been a long day...
    I finished washing, decontaminating, and polishing my new WRX today. I figured I would knock out the coating tonight., but I was wrong.

I hit it with the BF Paint Prep, and started applying the BFCC with a LC wedge applicator. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I can't get the BFCC to level for the life of me. The bottle says wait 1 minute for it to flash after you apply it. That didn't work. I tried other areas and varied the thickness and wait time, but it just doesn't wipe off. It's like smearing super glue across the paint. I don't know what to do differently.

I had to use an excessive amount of pressure and oscillation to finally remove it from the hood...I'm exhausted. After spending 2 hours on the hood, small section of the roof, and A-pillar, I'm over it. If the current condition of the coating is any indication of what it will look like when it cures, the results won't be good. It's uneven, streaky, and hazy.

What am I doing wrong?
    I think maybe it's bad,I had the same promblem on a Silverado and chucked it.I think black fire coating is awesome,but seem to think there is too much product in bottle thus doesn't last.If you had the same promblem I don't even know how you wiped it off.was the applicator clean as well the towel.I apply and immediately wipe it off one panel at a time.Temps can be a promblem if it's to cold.see what it looks like tomorrow as I'm posting this at 3:30 in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I used eraser not the precleaner,the precleaner maybe giving you the promblem but I doubt it,just looking at all problematic angles .when did you buy it and was it stored properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the newest product out in a spray form nozzle,if so I never used that only the product that came out a year ago sorry I wasn't much help.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may have used too much. On my 1st car (my daughters) I know I did but it did come out fine but on the white it was a real pain to see what was being covered. And yes the leveling was real work.

I also did my brothers Escalade and did use more sparingly but still was work to level and I tried different times from application to leveling of 1-5 min and still acted the same. But it still turned out fine.

What I found was to work in small sections and apply fast.

Now with WG uber it is quite different you apply the same way but after the 1min wait you go over it one more time with the applicator then wait 1 more min and very lightly buff. And you have no problem doing larger areas like half a hood or full door.

Also uber has a more glassy finish.

Here are a couple pics of my brothers truck I sent him when I had the left side done. And a pic of mine with uber. I didn't take my pics of mine since we had snow moving in and wanted to get it in the garage.

Also I used a 20% ipa solution on my daughters and the Blackfire prep on the Escalde and it made no difference.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm giving up, and just applying Crystal Seal for now. I tried putting it on thinner, and wiping more quickly this morning. Still really difficult...nothing like the YouTube videos. I was going to use the CS on everything else anyway. I've never use it before, but I like it so far.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesteel View Post
    I'm giving up, and just applying Crystal Seal for now. I tried putting it on thinner, and wiping more quickly this morning. Still really difficult...nothing like the YouTube videos. I was going to use the CS on everything else anyway. I've never use it before, but I like it so far.
    Was this application the first time you opened the product and removed the seal?

Crystal Coat needs to be applied very, very thin, like how Mike shows in this video:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UXF7bD34Zs[/video]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Crystal Coat problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Was this application the first time you opened the product and removed the seal?

Crystal Coat needs to be applied very, very thin, like how Mike shows in this video:

Brand new bottle. Ordered just a few weeks ago. The seal was opened immediately before application. I tried to follow the way Mike did in that video, but it just wasn't working out.

I just finished up with the Crystal Seal. I was running out of time. I worked on my car about 14 hours yesterday, hoping I could get it done. When things went sideways with the CC, I had to give it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I too had the same problem. I thought it was the weather at the time (90+ degrees, 80%+ humidty), but now I'm beginning to wonder. I found it VERY thin and runny when applied, but once spread out it became sticky almost instantly.

I found it so sticky that the MF towel I was using for leveling was sticking to the paint. The only way I could do any leveling to the product was let it dry for a while and then try to buff out the high spots, which was very difficult. Otherwise, the product was so tacky to the touch everything stuck to it. I also had to extricate a bug that happened to land on the vehicle and became stuck in the coating!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was too warm, or you have a bottle that needs to be replaced. I have had to exact same experience in +80 degree ambient out side air. Microfiber tried to glue itself to the surface leaving me wondering if I gave too much, or too little time. I tried it on another car in cooler temps and had no issues at all. It is a great product, so I would try a sample panel in cooler temps and see if it continues, if so the try to exchange for a fresh one. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast