autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Iron remover, Claying, Optimum No Rinse and Sealant?

My plan is running the vehicle through a touchless wash to loosen up any debris/dirt. Then right after head to a wash bay. I'll start spraying a panel at a time with iron remover, waiting for the penetration to kick in and agitation (light scrub with sponge I'm guessing), then rinse each panel as I go. Once that's done, lubricate and clay each panel, dry. Then Optimum No Rinse each panel, dry.

Will paint sealant or paint coating adhere to Optimum No Rinse?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover, Claying, Optimum No Rinse and Sealant?

You would want to polish after using clay, as you're likely to get marring.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of vehicle is it? If it's not a show car or in prefect shape don't worry about the clay causing marring, it will be minimal if not terribly contaminated. I would not trust the touch less to remove enough dirt to go to iron x and agitating then clay . I would do the onr or traditional wash before iron x and clay or ironx during wash. Look for Mike Philips article about an aggressive wash. Spray with iron x, wash as normal, rinse, clay, dry. With Regular sealant I wouldn't worry about onr causing issues, but megs d114 would be better if worried. Don't use onr then go straight to coating, that will cause problems.
    Anson Craig the Mobile Detail Expert
    www.mdxdetailing.com
    Like MDX-www.facebook.com/mdxdetail

Post Thanks / Like

2nd Gen Tacoma, daily driver, 42k, two scratches since I bought it new, I think the paint is perfect. One should polish out as my fingernail barely catches it. The other might not. Some others might not think it's perfect here as its been about a year since the last LSP. It looks outstanding to myself and all my friends and family. A couple members think I've neglected it. It's been clayed a few times and waxed a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RFrommann View Post
    You would want to polish after using clay, as you're likely to get marring.
    Can you define this? If it's super lubricated is marring avoided? The truck is silver and defects are hard to find, at least for me.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a fine grade clay like Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit, are careful and use enough lubricant, you shouldn't get any marring.
    It's more than a car...Keep it clean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW435 View Post
    If you use a fine grade clay like Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit, are careful and use enough lubricant, you shouldn't get any marring.
    I have Mother's right now. 1 and 2/3rd of bars. Used the third on my motorcycle (black tank and front fairing), didn't notice a flaw, but I coated it really well with the supplied Instant Detailer. I have a jug of Clay Luber I need to use too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ideal:
    Pre wash with touch free but no sealant, wax, or spot free options.

Then on each panel:

No Rinse® Wash & Shine, Spray Optimum Car wax for clay Lube, mild clay towel, spray Ferrex on a separate sponge and apply to the panel, then rinse, and use Opti Seal as you dry.

decon should be in this order: remove dirt, remove above surface contaminants, remove below surface contaminants, rinse and protect.

Most damage from using a clay bar is because the car was not cleaned to be free of dirt particles prior to beginning the clay process and they play bar drags that dirt all over the paint. Using Optimum wax as the Lube will be more forgiving if you aren't polishing as well simply because wax is slick. Also, Ferrex will do a better job on paint cleansing if it doesn't have to go through the stuff clay will mechanically bring off. And, you'll get better results with less Ferrex if you apply it with a sponge vs letting it bleed.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I should hand wash it then. I have three ways to scrub the vehicle, the octopus fingered sponge with bug scrub on other side, microfiber mitt, and Lake Country quarter cut "cubed" sponge. It'll save me 7 bucks. I have a lot of Gold Class shampoo. The fingered sponge is new so I'll use that for halfway down to the doors and then work the rocker panels and down with the cubed sponge. Wash down to the doors dump my wash and rinse buckets then restart for the rockers/bumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomas View Post
    Ideal:
    Pre wash with touch free but no sealant, wax, or spot free options.

Then on each panel:

No Rinse® Wash & Shine, Spray Optimum Car wax for clay Lube, mild clay towel, spray Ferrex on a separate sponge and apply to the panel, then rinse, and use Opti Seal as you dry.

decon should be in this order: remove dirt, remove above surface contaminants, remove below surface contaminants, rinse and protect.

Most damage from using a clay bar is because the car was not cleaned to be free of dirt particles prior to beginning the clay process and they play bar drags that dirt all over the paint. Using Optimum wax as the Lube will be more forgiving if you aren't polishing as well simply because wax is slick. Also, Ferrex will do a better job on paint cleansing if it doesn't have to go through the stuff clay will mechanically bring off. And, you'll get better results with less Ferrex if you apply it with a sponge vs letting it bleed.

Hope this helps.
    I thought I read where you should spray iron remover first as the clay will slide better over the surface as the remover wil remove say 75-80% of the contaminants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast