autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Cleanser instruction

Hey, crew. I applied a coat of ULW a couple weeks ago and decided to top with Collinite 476 to get me through the South Dakota winter. My truck is a 2014 with a really nice surface. I'm pretty informed as far as waxing/sealing goes, but I'm working by hand and have never used a pre-wax cleanser before.

In the spring, I'd really like to try a cleanser to remove my winter wax and prep the surface for whatever I'm going to use next- I'd like to try a menzerna or blackfire sealer for next summer.

My question is this- I've been reading about cleansers and have determined there to be both abrasive, as well as chemical cleaners (correct?). I've also read that some cleaners may temporarily soften a clear coat. Because I'm working by hand, I absolutely don't want to get into that game for fear of finger marks/marring. I'd be ok with a mild abrasive or chemical cleaner, so long as it wouldn't soften the clear. Upon very close inspection, I can see what I believe to be widespread water marks. Not really "spots", but rather irregular blotchy spotting. It's not visible at all unless I really look closely under particular lighting. But I really think I'd benefit from a cleanser.

In my reading on the forum, it's hard to find details about products- like how they actually work (eg. Chemical vs abrasive, etc). I'd be grateful if someone could recommend a cleanser to me that would ensure a finger mark-free finish. An abrasive would be ideal, so long as I wouldn't have to polish after. Or an abrasive/chemical combo? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Cleanser instruction

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

I am not the person to advise however the answer can be found on Auto Geek Youtube look for Pinnacle Paint Work Cleansing Lotion. Mike Phillips explains the use.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a non-abrasive paint cleaner in the blackfire line.

Do you have any polishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    There's a non-abrasive paint cleaner in the blackfire line.

Do you have any polishes?
    Yeah I do have some Ultimate polish. Tried it by hand and it did nothing for me. I don't yet have a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate polish is a paint cleanser. It has Meguiar's SMAT abrasives in it. You will not get the same results doing things by hand versus doing it by machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Ultimate polish is a paint cleanser. It has Meguiar's SMAT abrasives in it. You will not get the same results doing things by hand versus doing it by machine.
    I knew it was a polish and contains SMAT abrasives, but I didn't know it was also a cleanser. So some polishes are "just a polish" and some polishes are "a polish and a cleanser"?

Or are you saying that the act of polishing will negate the need for a cleanser? This is true, I agree. But I thought a cleanser was an additional option if you're not going to polish.

Is ultimate polish in the same category as something like pinnacle/Wolfgang cleansing lotion, four star pre-wax cleanser or P21S paintwork cleanser? I thought ultimate polish was a "polish", rather than a "cleanser" like these other products.

Post Thanks / Like

When you have an abrasive polish, the very act of abrasive paint will "cleanse" it. Non of the carrier liquid (glaze) is designed to protect, and leaves the paint smooth and clear.

Ultimate Polish is also very versatile. Maybe try it with a microfiber hand applicator, or terry cloth. I can get a lot of milage out of it on a machine as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    When you have an abrasive polish, the very act of abrasive paint will "cleanse" it. Non of the carrier liquid (glaze) is designed to protect, and leaves the paint smooth and clear.

Ultimate Polish is also very versatile. Maybe try it with a microfiber hand applicator, or terry cloth. I can get a lot of milage out of it on a machine as well.
    Yup I tried UP by hand with a microfiber applicator. It didn't do much. I do realize the act of polishing with an abrasive does "cleanse" the paint (SMAT in the case of UP). But that doesn't answer the questions in my last post...

Post Thanks / Like

The blotchy spots in certain lighting is over application of the Collinite 476.......if you didn't apply it SUPER THIN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast