autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a leather cleaner but there are too many options

I've had pretty good luck with most leather cleaners. However, I'm only cleaning my own seats - which stay pretty clean. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the filth that is on some of these leather seats. What is coming off these peoples' bodies? Filth? Sludge? Do they shower every day???

Anyway, I've tried a bunch. Leather Masters is good. But I think AG sells only the foam versions now - which are prolly expensive per use. The liquid stuff is like water. A little too drippy.

A lot of APCs are high pH products. It's up to you if you want to use them on your leather. On most cases, it's prolly OK. But, I try to stick to pH neutral type cleaners.

I've recently discovered the Sonus leather cleaner. It's cheap, has a good consistency, cleans well, smells good, foams up well, and is close to pH neutral. I'm not sure what else someone could ask for?

Leatherique is a restoration type product. I don't recommend it on modern decently maintained cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a leather cleaner but there are too many options

Unless its a non-coated leather (few and far between), use your favorite APC.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser.... diluted to suit. Honestly, it cleans well (as it should) and I use a very good conditioner. All is good and have been doing this for over a year on black very soft leather. YMMV..... always do a test spot first.
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Never used any AG brands or other brands they carry.

I have used Tanner's Preserve for years and for maintenance I like it, but I'm not really sure how it would stack up for cleaning even mildly soiled leather. Does smell like leather though and the conditioner is nice. If you've ever walked into a saddle shop or Silver Spur boot store that's what this stuff smells like, real leather. It can be found at cyclo dot com and Pep Boy's used to carry it.

It's mainly for new leather very light cleaning and conditioning. Never really had the opportunity to see how well the cleaner would work on soiled leather.

If you're looking for something to clean soiled leather then you may need a stronger cleaner, though the conditioner should serve nicely.

Eagle Ottawa Tanner's Preserve Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioning Cream...2 products

"Recommended by Eagle Ottawa, the Leading Leather Supplier to the Automotive Industry."

"At Eagle Ottawa we know leather. We've been making it since 1865. So we also know how to take care of it..."

Again, I'd use this on newer leather to keep it nice. For more soiled leather, Leather Masters may have a stronger leather cleaner. Leatherique has a big following, but the process is much more involved.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a review I did on Meguiar's leather cleaner from the detailer line.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...r-cleaner.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    Believe it or not, I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser.... diluted to suit. Honestly, it cleans well (as it should) and I use a very good conditioner. All is good and have been doing this for over a year on black very soft leather. YMMV..... always do a test spot first.
    ON EXTREMELY DIRTY LEATHER ONLY!

I use Meguiar's APC for general leather cleaning.

One recommendation I will make, stay away from 2in1 cleaners/conditioners in one product. Use dedicated cleaner and dedicated conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Leather Masters.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner. My leather only sees a 10:1 but I have used at 5:1 on a few nasty cars lately and its fantastic! Followed up with some good old Lexol conditioner...

Post Thanks / Like

Did not really think I could use apc on leather. So I have simple green, what dilution could I use for that?
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Did not really think I could use apc on leather. So I have simple green, what dilution could I use for that?

Is it safe to use Lemon Scent Simple Green All-Purpose Wipes on leather?

The rule of thumb is, "If it is safe to pour water on it, you can clean it with Simple Green." Most leather will not tolerate water. It becomes hard and dry. Therefore, it is not a good idea to use Lemon Scent Simple Green All-Purpose Wipes on leather, suede, dry-clean only fabrics such as some silks, velvets, etc.

Frome their Web site...
    Google "simple green for leather seats"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast