autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I fix this?

For sure. Oxidation under the clear coat.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    That looks to me like corrosion. They are aluminum wheels most likely and it is a reaction of the metal with something (weather basically) happens alot here in the north. Where are you from? Maybe that would help us better determine.
    Agree wheel is damaged see a lot in south Florida mostly for some reason mustangs are horrible,maybe covered under corrosion warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Be better off to buy aftermarket wheels then to have them refurbished,cause it will happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

go to youtube and check out a post by ChrisFix on how he fixed some wheels with scratches...... I realize yours aren't scratched, but, there are some tips in the video that just may help you DIY.
    Also, unless you just don't like the wheels on the car, I wouldn't go to the expense of aftermarket wheels, but, that's up to you.
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Or just plasti dip them. 20 dollar fix right there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 808_detail_nut View Post
    In Hawaii this happens often. Like most said is probably the aluminum oxidizing. I'm waiting to see how the paint on the new fords with the aluminum body react when they start oxidizing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Much better than rust.

I have never seen any negative affect on my aluminum hood with rock chips. No white oxidation, or flaking of paint around them. We know what exposed steel does. Aluminum does not hold up as well against hail.

I have seen oxidation and flaking on older factory painted valve covers and clear(powder?) coated machined or polished wheels though.

Media basting, then coating or paint will be the least expensive route to get a nice finish. Restoring them to their factory machined surface would be expensive. I also don't think clear coatings bond well to machined or polished wheel. Silver, whatever color, factory coated wheels hold up better over time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. They are *very* much appreciated and extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Be better off to buy aftermarket wheels then to have them refurbished,cause it will happen again.
    I'm seriously considering getting a professional paint job made on these wheels (maybe gun metal), but am also inclined to get a new set of aftermarket wheels. What do you guys think of Eagle Alloy wheels? Ever since I was young, I liked the look of the classic 186 series

http://www.aewheel.c...id=1990&cat=472

If I go that route, what would be the preferred way to detail and take care of them? I assume they will be of a better quality than the OEMs?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the brand you are looking at but in my opinion factory wheels are great quality and extremely durable. Enkei makes most of the Japanese ones, not sure about euro or American. They will take a hit at high mph and stay intact and not break into pieces. I've worked at a salvage yard and seen many broken cheap aftermarket wheels. Not bent, just complete destroyed in pieces. Just make sure they are high quality.

For care and maintenance, get a paint coating on them then clean regularly with whatever you wash your car with unless you let them go and they get really dirty.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments. If I get a new set of identical GM OEM wheels, how can I avoid this happening again?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it clean. Seal or coat it. I remove my rims every 6 months and clay them. Then seal them with a quality sealant or coating of your choice. Buy a Daytona speed brush so you can get in the drums and behind any parts of the wheel so there is minimal dust that could eat through to the aluminum.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.