autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How can I fix this?

Hello,

Just got a 3/4 ton Suburban that has been in storage for close to a year. Paint seems to be in very good condition. However, the wheels have what appears to be lighter colored scratches (but they are not scratches) -- I'm attaching some pictures. Is there any way to leave the wheels looking brand new?

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How can I fix this?-image1-jpg   How can I fix this?-image6-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I fix this?

I'll look forward to seeing these replies. My wife's car has the same issue.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks to me like corrosion. They are aluminum wheels most likely and it is a reaction of the metal with something (weather basically) happens alot here in the north. Where are you from? Maybe that would help us better determine.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe that is oxidation on the aluminum that is under the clear coat on the wheel which is why you can't feel it like a normal scrape or scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    That looks to me like corrosion. They are aluminum wheels most likely and it is a reaction of the metal with something (weather basically) happens alot here in the north. Where are you from? Maybe that would help us better determine.

Beat me to it

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Very humid weather here. Just talked to my close friend who owns a body shop / detailing company with a few locations. He says that probably the only way to fix this is by going through a professional polishing and perhaps re-lathing job. Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

You may just be able to get them sand blasted and then sand and polish the bad spots then re finish the clear coat. You could check with some body shops locally to see if you have a wheel refinishing shop near by.

Post Thanks / Like

You may also be able to just have them blasted and cleaned up and then just get them powder coated. You would need to do all 4 that way though. Powder coating in my area starts around $250 for all 4 wheels in basic silver or black and goes up in price from there pending the colors your choose.

Post Thanks / Like

You should get a quote for getting them refurbished. There are places that will even come to your house and do it out of their van. Usually $250 per wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

In Hawaii this happens often. Like most said is probably the aluminum oxidizing. I'm waiting to see how the paint on the new fords with the aluminum body react when they start oxidizing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.