autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed questions and observations

Are the orange B&S pads equivalent to the white Hybrid?
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

This may sound stupid but do microfiber pads tend to cut more than foam pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DieryEuroSpec View Post
    yes they do
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Post Thanks / Like

Speed is pretty great. I used it on a new car that had been sitting on the dealer lot for months. It had a ton of swirls from the lot washer. Speed finished just as well as a proper two step. Granted, the Speed step was worked a little longer than normal, but it finished great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    HD Speed (as well as most HD polishes) cut is pad dependent. I use it on hard VW clear with an orange B&S pad and get excellent results. But, everything depends on your test spot to tell you which pad will give you the results you are looking for.

This would be one of the advantages of the Megs pads. Since there are only 3 pads in the line and you really would only need to get 4-6 of the cutting pads and 4-6 of the polishing pads and you'd be set. You only need the finishing pad if you plan to apply LSP with your polisher, but you'd be better off getting a couple of the B&S red pads to apply LSPs. They are very soft, but have a very dense pore structure that keeps the LSP on the surface of the pad very well.

Some random thoughts: The B&S pads are 1" thick, but have an excellent reputation for durability. The LC Pads are 7/8" thick, the new LC Thin Pro pads have been getting good initial reviews, but we don't know how thin they are and have no long term data regarding durability. The Megs pads are the thinest of the three at only 11/16ths, have gotten excellent reviews and no reports I've seen about poor durability. The Megs cutting pad has been reported to have cut nearing a MF pad, but that it finishes very well.

I would guess that with a Chevy Silverado you have pretty hard paint so you'll most likely need to use a cutting pad with HD Speed, but only a test spot can tell for sure.
    Just got a LC Orange thinpro in the mail today to try out. Appears to be nearly identical in size to the Megs thin pads I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Just got a LC Orange thinpro in the mail today to try out. Appears to be nearly identical in size to the Megs thin pads I have.

Using the thinpro Orange pad with speed and the finishing pad I think they're black with poxy on top of speed, would there be any need for say the white pad after the Orange or would the Orange be good enough followed with the finishing pad with HD poxy? Or would you that kind of defeats the purpose of the AIO style of speed?

Post Thanks / Like

What you do is a small test spot on the car you are working on. That will tell you what is needed. Most likely there is no sense of doing Speed with Orange then Speed with white then poxy with finish pad.

All your questions on pad/product/technique will be answerable by you doing a test spot. Just try something and see. That is what will teach you, not us telling you what to do and not being there.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DieryEuroSpec View Post
    They cut way more but almost every time, they leave marring from the microfiber pad.

So never do a microfiber cutting pad for a one step unless, the clearcoat is super hard and not leaving any marring.

I did a one step with v36 and MF cutting pad and didn't mar but its rare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy View Post
    Using the thinpro Orange pad with speed and the finishing pad I think they're black with poxy on top of speed, would there be any need for say the white pad after the Orange or would the Orange be good enough followed with the finishing pad with HD poxy? Or would you that kind of defeats the purpose of the AIO style of speed?
    This thread may answer you question: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html

Post Thanks / Like

For some of you that have used Speed for a little while now, what are you finding as far as protective durability? A comment here earlier stated that Speed leaves behind more protection than other AIO's but how long does it last? I am looking for a product just like this for my one step clients but would like to give them a conservative estimate of protection.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast