autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Small Polisher--Am I The Only One?

Well, we went through SEMA last year, and the small polisher rumored from Flex turned out to be a rotary in a "PC-style" chassis.

I had been hoping for a small DA machine that would be an alternative to the GG 3" or Rupes Mini but in a "rotary-style" with a front grip and trigger switch.

This year we got 2 new machines from Flex, and while the new-tech forced rotation machine is certainly interesting as an alternative to the 3401, still not what I was hoping for. The new Rupes nano is also an interesting machine, although it doesn't really fill the niche I noted above (although in reading between the lines I think there may be a slightly larger machine in the pipe, one that will take 70mm pads).

The GG 3" just has no power, the Rupes Mini while powerful is much heavier and no trigger operation.

Am I the only one that is interested in a machine like this? (3" pad size, rotary-style grip, really I guess a Flex 3401 "mini").

Disclaimer: Part of my interest in this is of course for small, difficult to reach areas, but also my observation that some members of the fairer sex who have small hands and less upper-body strength have some difficulty with the full-size machines, which reduces their ability to participate. Translation: I'm tired of having to do all the polishing on my wife's car!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Polisher--Am I The Only One?

The Rupes Nano actually might be up your alley with this as it can do both Rotary and DA polishing. Although it doesn't have a trigger switch and front grip, it does have a much nicer looking control switch than the FLEX PE-8.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said in my original post, I don't think the Nano really fits, it's kind of created its own niche. If you study it closely, it's really a little different than it first appears, the change between direct and DA operation has to do with the offsets of the backing plates. We'll see what its big brother looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, the Nano is really its own niche for very tight areas.

Is the trigger a deal breaker? I might have a couple of suggestions for you if you want to try and get your wife helping.

I'm guessing you don't want her running a rotary, otherwise I would suggest a Flex L3403 VRG Lightweight Rotary. I love mine and really think it is an under-rated tool.

A Cyclo, while heavy is an amazingly easy tool to use for a beginner. It is very well balanced, but doesn't have a trigger control. Just a switch and a dial.

The Rupes Mini might still be a good idea, even without the trigger. It still has a soft start function, while that doesn't mitigate completely the need for a trigger, it does reduce the need.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm not really looking for a recommendation of an existing product, I'm looking for a product that doesn't exist and wondering if I'm really the only one who would be interested in what I have described.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you're looking for and I am surprised the market has not responded, it's a good idea. I'm using the Rupes mini until something better comes along.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you hoping for what I was hoping the new Flex DA would be, a forced rotation 3401 in a PC7424 size and chassis?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    As I said in my original post, I don't think the Nano really fits, it's kind of created its own niche. If you study it closely, it's really a little different than it first appears, the change between direct and DA operation has to do with the offsets of the backing plates. We'll see what its big brother looks like.
    Just for clarification, that is incorrect. The tool comes with 2 different eccentric offsets that screw into the shaft - 3 mm and 12 mm. Each eccentric offset can then accept a variety of backing plates, or even brushes. Part of the confusion, unfortunately, comes from my original post where I show the pieces being assembled as one unit - keep in mind these are brand new tools in prototype form and we are exploring a variety of packaging options. Mi dispache.

It really is no different than being able to unscrew then entire eccentric offset (including the counter balance mechanism) from the LHR 21 for example, and screen in the entire eccentric offset from the LHR 15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    Just for clarification, that is incorrect. The tool comes with 2 different eccentric offsets that screw into the shaft - 3 mm and 12 mm. Each eccentric offset can then accept a variety of backing plates, or even brushes. Part of the confusion, unfortunately, comes from my original post where I show the pieces being assembled as one unit - keep in mind these are brand new tools in prototype form and we are exploring a variety of packaging options. Mi dispache.

It really is no different than being able to unscrew then entire eccentric offset (including the counter balance mechanism) from the LHR 21 for example, and screen in the entire eccentric offset from the LHR 15.
    Sorry, backing plate was a poor choice of words on my part, thanks for correcting me with the correct term--"eccentric offset". As I said, this product has created its own niche, but it's a different niche than the product I'm daydreaming about.

Perhaps you can shed some light on why the Duetto and Mini (and the PE8, for that matter) have a "PC-style" chassis, instead of a "rotary-style", or at least why they don't have some sort of grip or undercut on the front (as the latest GG 3" does) for a better hand-hold.

PS Kudos for the "on-grid" option for the Nano, who of us who has used a rechargeable power tool hasn't wished to be able to plug the thing into the wall when confronted with a dead battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I was reading through this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html and I see there were a number of members stating they were hoping for a smaller/3" pad version of the 3401, so I guess I'm not as alone as I thought.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast