autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor winter storage tips/opinions

Hi everyone, I'm a frequent lurker, but I now actually am in need of some advice. I figured what better place to ask than here. Due to the circumstances, my car will be outdoors this winter. I have high anxiety about it being out in the elements. This is not my daily driver, I bought it from the original owner who garaged and pampered it and I have done the exact same for the 2 1/2 years I've had it.

I have on order a $500 Coverking Autobody Armor cover and I plan to disconnect the battery and bring it inside. Other than that I just plan to keep the paint sealed and slick, I'm hoping this will prevent any type of beating from our harsh winters. Any other tips or thoughts on what else can be done?

Thanks for any help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outdoor winter storage tips/opinions

For $500, do you think you could have rented a car storage space for three months or so?

I'm just thinking of my garage queen, and that's the only way my mind would be at ease in such a situation..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost forgot pics! It's an '02 Camaro SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    For $500, do you think you could have rented a car storage space for three months or so?

I'm just thinking of my garage queen, and that's the only way my mind would be at ease in such a situation..
    I tried that route, cheapest indoor car storage around here was $267 per month, can't afford that on top of college and my crazy insurance rates lol

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine parks on a large tarp, covers the car with blankets, pulls the tarp upward with loose fitting g bungee cords that drape over the blankets and then covers the vehicle. I think it's overkill but he's worried about critters crawling in from underneath. Oh, and don't forget the Sta-bil!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7PaintGuns View Post
    A friend of mine parks on a large tarp, covers the car with blankets, pulls the tarp upward with loose fitting g bungee cords that drape over the blankets and then covers the vehicle. I think it's overkill but he's worried about critters crawling in from underneath. Oh, and don't forget the Sta-bil!
    Sta-bil is a must. Soft blankets would probably be a good idea for a little extra protection against scratches and such if the cover moves around in the wind by chance. Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02SOMSS View Post
    I tried that route, cheapest indoor car storage around here was $267 per month, can't afford that on top of college and my crazy insurance rates lol
    I rent a 15X30 storage unit for one of my cars at $95.00 per. month.

I guess this depends on location.

Post Thanks / Like

Mice and other small rodents love to nest in vehicles that are stored outside for the winter.

Place some Bounce dryer sheets in the engine bay, tail pipes, and in the interior to deter them from getting into the car. Sounds strange but it really does work. Some used to use moth balls for this purpose, but the smell gets into everything and is nearly impossible to get rid of. Stick to the dryer sheets...

Don't forget to remove them all in the spring!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

About mice...I hear every fall about a product called, "Mouse Magic." I know nuttin' about it, but it seems to be the 'go to' stuff from what I've heard.

I hate those lil suckers!

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be ok with what you have planned. A nice car cover, some fuel stabilizer and a way to deter rodents from getting inside the vehicle. Make sure you top the gas tank off to prevent moisture inside the tank. You may also want to seafoam the engine to clean it up a bit. My 2008 Mustang went into storage in March of 2011 and this is basically what I did. It will be 4 years before I start her up again so I am praying for the best when I get back to her in a few months. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast